CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Vincent Alessi
Roselle, USA
Is this a math problem?

Hi, I have question concerning a form I have to make, using Cinema 4D.
It's a mass of platonics/octa's/Equilateral triangles that have to be reproduced with all edges touching, all facing in the same direction. Not a problem. I've moGraphed the thing and have a nice bunch of these shapes. The problem occurs when I have to make the shape of the mass conform to a football-like shape. The separate pieces naturally end up bunching up and coming together as they taper toward the two poles of the shape. Is there some way or something I can use to calculate this so the shapes stay uniform but still follow the shape I need them to?

I'm attaching two JPGS to give a better idea of what I'm trying to get at.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-10-24 at 5.34.25 PM.png (71.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2013-10-24 at 6.25.39 PM.png (59.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
If you are scaling it is doing exactly what its supposed to do. All it is doing is decreasing the distance between vertices hence "scaling". If you want to retain the same sized geometry while still having the ends sort of come in towards each other you may have to do some manual redirection and dictate the topology your self
3D Modeler & Technical Artist
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Vincent Alessi
Roselle, USA
Hey moneytakea. I'm not actually sizing it, I'm using MoGraph object to conform it along the shape, but I understand what you're saying; it's not wrong, I am in my lack of understanding. I was hoping it was math problem that could be solved with an Effector or something. I tried taking away certain instances of the platonic with the Volume effector, but that didn't seem to be too successful.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread