Scene modelling process

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Scene modelling process

I am trying to teach myself how to do everything needed to create an animated short. I have character and scene designs, storyboards and have almost finished modelling one of the characters. I thought I'd give myself a break before starting on one of the other characters by doing some work on the scenes/world that the animation takes place in.

The problem I've got (and I hope I'm posting this in the right place!) is that I'm not sure of the process I should try to use for creating the world I want to use. I've done some reading around on the subject but what information I was able to find wasn't very detailed and has left me with even more questions!

Right now in my head I see it as blocking out the scene roughly, using cubes and planes to produce a layout. The story starts outside and after moving through a few alleys and streets moves inside a house. So I would start by setting up the buildings/fences and any other major features of the street using basic geometry. I would then place the cameras for each shot and workout where the detail needs to be added and model that detail into the scene and work forward from there. I would then create a separate scene for the stuff happening 'inside'.

Is this a sensible approach or should I be creating each scene separately?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn as much as I can!

Thank you for reading whats turned into a bit of an essay too!

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread