How long to model 7 Rigid Smurf-Like Figures of ca. 10cm height?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
How long to model 7 Rigid Smurf-Like Figures of ca. 10cm height?

Hi everyone,

I have been approached by a client who wants to have 7 rigid Smurf-like 3D models + each with some specific accessory.

Something like this should be the end result:

LINK

I come from the product design area, so I have not that much experience modeling characters/figures.

Therefore I would like to hear some feedback from you guys on how long you think it can take me ca. to get the 7 models done.

Also what tool of preference should I be using?

I have worked with 3D Max for about 7 years (mainly just for rendering and animations, very basic modeling), but not recently, last time maybe 5 years ago

Other than that Inormally use Rhino 3D but for this task that would be insane
Although there is a T-Splines plug-in for it, that could do the job.

Or I could imagine buying modo or zbrush. Or should I stick to 3D max as I am already familiar with its UI?

From modeling "similar" stuff I am roughly counting with 3-4 days per model + 1 day feedback/fine tuning per model. Is that somehow realistic or way too much/too less?

The 3D data has to be ready to be manufactured and/or start the tooling process of the molds.

Any feedback would be great!

Thank you very much!

Old 09 September 2013   #2
An experienced modeler could probably pump them out in a couple days (since it's really just one model reposed with a couple tweaks), but if you don't have much character modeling experience it'll take you a heck of a lot longer.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
It's just one model rigged and posed, not 7.
The poses differ and so do the expressions on the face which can be textured or achieved through displacement mapping.

Buy a smurf on Turbosquid or the like, duplicate, tweak, rig, pose, done.
Add time for modeling the props.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
thanks for all your feedback.

after rethinking the job-request, I think I might be better off sub-contracting a character modeler to do the figures.

@scrimski in general a great tip to get one model off the shelf and edit it. Unfortunately in this case all figures (I stated smurf-like to give a rough design/complexity idea) will have a custom look/design that won't be available in a 3D shop as a base model I think.

Thanks again for your tips&feedback so far!

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread