CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
EquityReleaseCalculator
portfolio
United Kingdom

Red face This face doesn't look right, help please?

I've been trying to build a human for a couple of weeks now, I finally got the body to a point where I'm happy with it and now I've been doing the face, first attempt was awful, this one has much nicer topology than the last one, I stuck very closely to some guidelines, however it still doesn't look quite right to me, how weird should it look, considering it has no hair and maya's default texture?

I am using maya (if you didn't guess) , it is supposed to be male, I have been using a few different blueprints and tutorials to get the proportions/topology right.

^if that didn't work the link between the IMG tags should

Thanks for reading,
Padrig

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

3 Major things that I notice off the back , ; Nostrils, Lips, and Chin. His shoulders appear a bit too broad as well. His eyes are too recessed back into his head and the transition between eye cavity and cheek bone are too sharp. Also it seems as if you put a junction on both sides of your nostrils , did you ? He also has no supporting structure for his eye brow. He has no cheeks as well. He's missing lips. The reason why it doesn't look right is because it isn't, as humans we scan immediately for the landmarks we are most familiar with and on this character most of them are missing almost completely. Give him some lips with overlap, Fix his Brow Ridge, gives him some cheeks, Ease the transition from his eye cavity to cheek bone, definitely fix his nose/nostrils and also pay attention to his neck. His muscles look recessed as if someone pinched them in rather than an actual humans. I would say visit a website on human anatomy such as ARTNATOMY and review the various muscles and how they form around the skull. You will then realize that a lot of this needs to be corrected and your edge flow should be directed around major muscles and structures, not only because it will allow your face to look right but it will give it the proper deformation it needs to be animated properly. If this is your first then its a good start so definitely push on and get it fixed and up to standards. I believe if you made it this far fixing it should be a piece of cake for you

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
EquityReleaseCalculator
portfolio
United Kingdom

Thanks that's super helpful

I think the reason his shoulders looks o broad in the picture is he's in a T pose and his shoulder/arm muscle transition needed a little work, it was something I was more confident with so I didn't mention it but since then I've been having a little trouble getting my topology into a state where I can define the shoulder well, I'm having a similar issue with the knee, to get the effect I want I need curved topology and it takes time to built it in without distorting it a load, however I am confident with the techniques, I don't think there'll be any shortcuts, I'm pushing vertex and using slide edge when I can, it's definitely starting to shape up nicely, the thing that looks like a junction on the nose is a topology issue, I hadn't gotten rid of the N-Gons on the mesh when I took the screenshot and the smoothing was going wrong, I fixed the eye inset thingy, I just made a velociraptor and for that I wanted a really strong eye socket, that was the first face I've ever built for anything so I'm not very experienced yet xD

Pulling the eyes out helped to soften the cheekbone transition but I smoothed it off a bit more as it still looked a little sharp and the mouth and the brow were areas I didn't think to look at for some reason, I can't get at it till I'm in work tomorrow but I'll give more of a curvature to the cheeks by pulling out 4-5 points on them? Maybe pull out the top of the eye socket as that looks a little soft to me? I think the mouth needs a little widening, I'll have a look at that too, the only things I'm not sure what to do about are the nostrils and the chin, I've spent the evening staring at people's noses whenever I spoke to them and I think there's sort of a circular lump to the side of the nostrils, I was going to add an edge loop going around them then round it all off a little?

Also I don't know the first thing about making ears, I'm tempted to wuss out and take it into Zbrush for them but I would like to be able to do them, any tips? I think my best bet would be to use a reference image to make a polygon the same shape with all the verts I need then put the topology onto it with split poly tool, making a very basic low res ear so I can then put it onto the side of the head, is it a better idea to do this or make a detailed ear then try to reduce the no. of verts along the edge? I think I'd end up with an awful lot of triangles if I did the latter and on something like an ear would that not make loads of heavy pinching?

Most of my face topology seems to be working for me pretty well, I did use a reference for how to do the topology of a face and it seems to be working well, my first one I just tried to chisel out of a sphere and it was very ugly, for this one I took a sphere and deleted all the front faces so I could totally re-do the topology, took some time but the results were nice.

I have been trying to find anatomy references but it's tricky to find good free ones, I will have a look at artnatomy. Finally how can I make the chin look nicer, I've done a lot of playing with it and it always looks a little off, do you have any tips for getting the shape right?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
dbztoolkit

keep it up you will get there every model will be better then the next i try to learn something each model

Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

There's a difference between talent and skill, skill is what you get from countless hours of practice and dedication. If you keep it up and don't give up on your goal , you will get there and surpass it. The only person holding you back is yourself. Once you realize that limits are meant to be broken your art will speak for it self

Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
ravihara
Frequenter

portfolio
Ravihara Weerathunge
cgninja
Kandy, Sri Lanka

Smile

that face is ten thousand times better than my first ones. keep it up. If you are doing box modeling, try and sneak out edge extrude modeling a bit. that is where it started to make my faces better. the difficulty for me with box modeling is that with every loop you add, you have to deal with more and more faces at once. but when it comes to edge extrusion, you deal with two vertices at time. that helped me a lot to reduce the confusion.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread