How to create a Bas Relief in 3D Studio Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
How to create a Bas Relief in 3D Studio Max?

Hi!

My problem is simple : a friend of mine asked me to make a bas relief for him from a portrait that came to me in the form of a picture (black and white). Despite the fact that I have modeled in 3D Studio Max in the past, I do not know how to make a bas relief. I have looked for tutorials on the net, but all I have found were infos about height maps and a plug-in for 3D Studio Max that I can't even use with my current version, wich is 8.0 . I was curious if there is a method of accurately translating that imported picture into a 3D relief in 3D Studio Max, something like what you get on a coin. My friend is using it in order to create real-life bas reliefs using a machine operated by software.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards!

Old 08 August 2013   #2
would displacement be what you need?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
There isn't any way to automatically create a high-quality relief sculpt from a single picture. Applying the image as a displacement map will get you a very rough approximation, but it's not gonna look that great. If you had multiple pictures, you could try using something like 123D to create a mesh then flatten it down, but I'd be surprised if you get particularly good results. You're probably going to have to hand sculpt the relief.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread