Model Creating Holes Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Model Creating Holes Issue

I have modeled a full body set of armor and retopoligized it in topogun. I sent it back into zbrush as an obj to be appended with the high res model but when i divide the low poly model to give it some more geometry, a couple holes are created in the crotchal region of the armor. In topogun i have tried to subdivide that area and also the whole model and it hasn't helped or just created more problems. The interesting thing though is that when i brought it into Maya to just close the holes there were no holes, it appeared intact, like it does in topogun. I have tried to also just delete a couple faces, then rebuld them but that doesnt really get rid of the holes either. Is there any easy way I can fix this problem? I really don't want to retopoligize it again. Additoianlly, my final goal is to use it in an animation video made in maya. So could I just ignore the holes since maya doesnt show them then? Any help wold be greatly apprecaited as this has been driving me crazy. Sorry if this post doesnt make a lot of sense or is confusing, I'm going to try to post some pics of the issue later if i cant fix it, I'm at work right now so i can't.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
It sounds like the vertices are not merged/welded, which means you have two vertices directly on top of one another. This is the typical cause of holes in geometry when subdividing in ZBrush.

Select the vertice (don't drag select or lasso select) and try to move it.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Sounds like you may have verts on top of verts. Or verts not properly merged/welded. Did you happen to do the model in Zbrush then use topogun to retopo? The reason why I say that is because if you had dynamesh turned on sometimes it tends to grab geometry from its backfaces which can cause a lot of micro holes that you will never be aware of until now. If your not careful you may end up falling victim to following the bad geo. Try running Mesh clean up in Maya and instead of clean up , just set it to select. Allow it to point out all the issue geometry and then correct it. Make sure your in Polygon Mode then on the top menu Mesh>Clean Up

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread