Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Vole
portfolio
United Kingdom

Question Advice needed: aircraft model

This is my first post so first of all, hello

I'm modelling an aircraft of the modern bomb dropping variety (my own design) in 3Ds max 2013 and I'm though-rely stumped by how to do the access panels that are all over real life military fast jets.

My initial plan was to do them in zbrush using panel loops and then get a normal and a/o map. But as this project has gone on, and as poly count is not an issue, I would like to be able to get some nice close up renders.

Question: how would I go about poly modelling all those access panels, or would a normal map do a good enough job?

I apologise if I've missed a thread covering this but I've been searching the internets for 2 weeks now and can't seem to find an answer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Vole

Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
ozzman1997
Veteran
portfolio
Ozzy Hattermann
Bartonville, USA

A normal map should be good enough for most occasions, but what will be the purpose of your model? If you want it to look best from close up, try manually cutting out the doors, then detaching and adding a shell modifier to it. Then you can use chamfer to nicely round out the edges of the door and then extrude the edges in the fuselage that were produced by the door cutting. This is usually what I do for most aircraft and it looks very nice.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread