CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
Corey Kaliszewski
Erie, USA
Creating characters, Maya or ZBrush?

I've been 3D modeling for quite some time and I am very bad when it comes to creating human characters. I thought it would be a good idea to improve my character skills and I wanted to know which program would be better to model and texture characters. I know Maya in the modeling aspect, but I don't know ZBrush at all. It seems that a lot of people use ZBrush to create characters so I was thinking of learning it.

Is it a better idea to learn ZBrush or stick with Maya? Or is it just a personal preference?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Freelance chacha teacher
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada
Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Any package will do, but zbrush gives you a lot more freedom for organic forms because you're not worrying about technical aspects when sculpting. If you have a strong base in figurative art / anatomy, then it's the fastest way to get started. If you don't have any training in traditional art then you'll find it difficult no matter which software you are using because they are tools, the artist's skills is the most important part.

You don't have to stick with only one software, use whatever makes your work faster and more comfortable.

Last edited by Psyk0 : 04-01-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Corey Kaliszewski
Erie, USA
I think I'll look into ZBrush then, I'm going to be starting classes at Full Sail University and I just wanted to get a jump start. Everything I know so far has been self taught.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread