Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
vexz90
portfolio
Gian Lombardi
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah, USA

How can I showcase this model?

How would you display the wireframe of a model that was made using polys but that is meant to be displayed in subdiv? Whenever you render the wireframe using that, it comes out with sooo many faces. Just remember this is all modeled in polys and then smoothed using the "subdivDisplaySmoothness" (aka pressing 3 and rendering in a software that supports that, like MR or RenderMan). My mesh is actually not that heavy, 57k polys as you can see in the image.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1045/audixe.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/...8renders001.png

Somebody suggested me to display both side by side. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
ezekiel66
Know-it-All

portfolio
v j
3D Artist
Germany

I have no idea about the wireframe rendering in Maya, so I can't comment on that directly. There might be settings to use the original poly cage instead of the smoothed version.

As a workaround, you could create a snapshot of the UVs and texture those onto your model as an image.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I fiddled with this for hours, and I found the best way was to use a plugin called Contours.

http://ticket01.com/contours/

I got an ok result by using the hardware render with an orthographic camera, but if your planning on making lots of hi res wireframe renders, its worth the 20 quid.

-AJ

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
vexz90
portfolio
Gian Lombardi
Savannah College of Art and Design
Savannah, USA

Hey, thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to try any, but I also got this response in another forum, in case anybody is interested:

"Use a subdivision scheme. Pressing 3 is built more for display and preview purposes than anything else. By attaching a subdivision scheme you gain much more control and by fine tuning can speed up render times."

"In maya - Window > Rendering Editors > Mental Ray > Approximation Editor >Subdivision. Either use parametric with the N Subdivisions set to 3, or use length/distance/angle with the min subd at 1 and the max subd at 2 (for imitating "3"), and the length at 0.1, and the distance set to 1.0. I prefer the second method because it gives me more control, for example if I need heavy displacement and don't want to increase my poly count, I can increase my min/max subd to 2/3 and 3/4 and maya will treat my geometry like it has more geo so it can support the displacement properly."

I'll check those out later.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread