Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
DaveAleb
portfolio
David
Madrid, España

What to do when you cant sketch your own ideas

Hello everyone my name is David and I am quite new to this whole 3d software and modeling thing, I have a quick question to ask to those more experienced users, question is what do you usually do when you dont have those natural drawing skills that allow you to at least draw sketches of a character in different positions in order for you to model them? I know you could go out there and try and find websites with templates or characters drawn in T-pose that you can use for modeling, but what if what you want to model is an idea of your own and you just cant draw it, how do you even start, I am asking this because I just tried to eyeball this one idea I had and it went horribly enough for me to quit it, once I was without that character drawn in T-Pose for modeling I was useless.

Well I am looking at the work of artist such as Carlos Ortega Elizalde and I would like to achieve that style of creating things, but then again this artist I just mentioned knows how to draw.

Whats your say.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

Well, I sort of have the same problem. I know how to model but I can't draw very well.

I usually create my character's anatomy from references. Once it looks ok, I'll take screenshots from front, side, back of the naked character and get those into photoshop. That way, I can easily draw on top of it.

Does that help?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I cant draw well on paper, but I've found its not to hard to knock up a concept in Photoshop or GIMP. You can use layers and the erase tool to push and tweak your concept. I think the hardest thing about drawing on paper is trying to erase errant strokes.

-AJ

Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

There's no such thing as "natural drawing ability". It's a skill you learn, just like modeling. If you want to create your own concepts, learn how to draw, at least a little bit.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
DaveAleb
portfolio
David
Madrid, España

Thanks all for the help.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Can you get someone to draw it for you? They might get close enough to your idea so you have something to work with.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread