Maya normals on triangulated faces after boolean?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Unhappy Maya normals on triangulated faces after boolean?

Hi all, I'm trying to model a car in Maya and use mental ray render.
let me explain a little about this issue that I would like to discuss.

With curvy surface like car exteriors, whenever I need to punch a hole, it becomes very hard to hold the curvature nice and smooth.
So instead of pushing vertices back and forth for ever(like I used to do), I tried to use boolean this time. Yes, the taboo.

so I divided the car door piece to a good density, placed a "handle" shape piece and did boolean. after that extruded the loop a couple time to get a good beveled edge.
Although the shape is good now, comes the n-gons.

I select them through "cleanup", and did a "triangulate".
that's where the normal issue kicks in! (thank you for the patience, phew)

the tris show the facets while the quads looks smooth.
I tried to select all of them and "soften edges", it only made it worse. "unlock normals" or "average normals", no improvement either. I tried all the tools under "Normal" tab in polygon mode, but could not get a smooth looking on the door piece.

so my question would be, is it possible to make a smooth piece out of this method? or I have to clean up the tris no matter what I do?

I saw this car model in Maya converted from CAD file and it has smooth surface even with the tris:

I know nothing about CAD, but from manually doing it, is it possible to do the same thing to get smooth looking model?

if you have any other way to cut an hole nice and clean on a curvy surface, that input would be most helpful as well!!!

thanks for your time!

03 March 2013
Hey man,

Just cut it out by hand. Try to keep things as low polys as you can though.

-AJ

03 March 2013
thanks for the reply AJ1.
I do know the manual way.
but I do hope there is a quicker method to handle a large numbers of holes... anyway, guess Maya is not specialized in technical modeling......

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread