Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
LemonJuice
portfolio
sam Kim
houston, USA

Extracting Wireframe Material and Alternatives to the Slice Modifier

Hey guys, I've got two questions for you all:

1. I understand how to make a wireframe material by just ticking the wireframe option in the material editor, but is it possible for me to extract that material?
I have a problem where i have a editable patch of a curved letter, there arent many edges when in curved letter, but when i convert it to an editable poly the poly count jumps to the thousands to form the curvature of the letter. the shape itself is the same, but the thousands of polys makes it impossible for me to use the wireframe material because it would be way too cluttered.
I want to use the editable patch's wireframe material instead of the editable poly wireframe, but i need the model to be in an editable poly

2. This is related to the first question, but is there an alternative to using the slice modifier to reveal something? I ask this because the curved letter is revealed slowly using the slice modifier, but its impossible to use it in the editable patch form. it needs to be an editable poly, and thats where we run into the problem of the high poly letter.

thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Not sure i get it right but the rendering problem can be solved by creating a duplicate of the patch version and apply the material to that, set the duplicate to not cast shadows and it will render on top of the editable poly version. You might need to add a push modifier or scale it slightly (like 0,01 %) to fix any clipping issues.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread