Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Deloma
portfolio
David Jackson
Odesse, Denmark

Need tips on outside cockpit modeling in 3D

Hi

I'm pretty new to the modeling in 3DS so I'm sorry if this is considered a newbie question.
I feel pretty familiar with the software and different features but I got stuck at this particular model I'm building. I'm doing my first real model in 3DS(no tutorial) and I decided to create MiG-15 after seeing a documentary about Korean War on TV. I felt the plane was a simple object to start with.

I managed to create most of the stuff but I got stuck with the canopy specifically the metalsheet that surrounds the acrylic glass. See this picture: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EUFy8bKeH...%93-15)+(1).jpg

I created the canopy using box modeling and then applied MeshSmooth. I got a nice and round object but then I started to struggle with the metal frame around it. Initially I went for splines and tried to draw the frame directly on to the object. It didn't look good however. I then tried to subdivide the canopy and extract the curves as spline and do extract on it but I failed there as well.

How would you tackle this problem? The frame has curvature so splines seems the way to go but I just can't pull it off. Also what is the best way to get forward part of canopy (where the pilot aims) straight as seen in the picture while the rest is nice and round? Thanks for any tips.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
UnitedExpress4180
Veteran
portfolio
Jason
Denver, United%2BStates

Personally, I'd recommend hard-surface poly modelling the whole thing. Try modelling the left or right half of the canopy and then use a symmetry modifier to get the conplete piece. For the edge flow, I'd do something like this...

You get the idea, yes?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread