Modeling Workflow - Maya and Mudbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Modeling Workflow - Maya and Mudbox

Hey guys,

I'm currently just learning a few workflows and finding what's the best way to develop a model. I understand everyone has there own ways to produce models but I just wanted see what everyone else does.

I'm looking at modeling a statue and I've modeled the structure.

Now I'm just wondering Do I create the UV's first? or sculpt and use Mudbox, export my normals then UV map?

I see my self as a amateur 3D artist just let let you know so any advanced terminology please try and break it down.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

02 February 2013
You can do the UVs before or after sculpting/texturing within mudbox.
You cannot export any kind or texture map (colour/diffuse, normal, bump, dispacement etc) without having the UVs done.
If you've already started in mudbox with a model that hasn't been UV'd don't worry you can UV the base mesh at the end in Maya (or whatever software you use) and import that back into mudbox and select that one as your base mesh when baking maps.

02 February 2013
Thanks

Thanks for the reply its much appreciated.
I understand there are alternative pieces of software to produce UV layouts other then Maya, are these just down to preferences or are there actually advantages to independent software?

Thanks again.

02 February 2013
I'd say its down to speed more than anything else, but its best to learn how to UV using just the UV editing tools provided in Maya. You wont always have those extra pieces of kit in studios to help you UV.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by NightOwl3D: I'd say its down to speed more than anything else, but its best to learn how to UV using just the UV editing tools provided in Maya. You wont always have those extra pieces of kit in studios to help you UV.

Though this is true, getting good UV's on something complex like a character (as opposed to something simple and planar like a table) with just the maya UV tools can be really arduous and time consuming (and if your not really proficient at UV mapping can sometimes feel impossible). I always use headusUV. It's a standalone program but has a seamless bridge to send models back and forth between the program and maya.

It cuts down UV time for me IMMENSELY.

There are other alternatives though, I dont know about mudbox but zbrush has a pretty good auto UV option. Assuming you're at a studio that has a sculpting package this shouldn't be a problem.

Also I always have home station set up with dropbox and logmein so if I really need a program or script to do something that I cant do at the studio I can just remote login and take care of business.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread