new to modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
new to modeling

When it comes to modeling objects and people. Would it be best to build objects and people on a one to one scale? For example, if I model a pencil and it's 10 inches long and 1/2 inch in
diameter in real life, should I model it the same way in my 3-D program?

01 January 2013
Yes, unless there is some reason not too.

01 January 2013
Can anything really be scaled in Maya or Max etc to 100% accuracy?
I'm interested to know how someone would go about scaling several modelled objects from various artists for an office scene and nothing has been scaled.
For example the pencil is bigger than the desk lamp, the office chair is bigger than the desk with their transformations frozen.
I haven't worked in the industry as a modeler long but I can't remember ever being asked to scale a model I've finished working on. Thought maybe its usually done by the Layout dudes.
However I've had instances where I would have to keep my model roughly the same scale as an extremely low poly object provided by someone else at another studio, which I assume was because it was to the correct scale.

01 January 2013
Hey man,

If your in need of total accuracy for a real world model, check out a CAD program like Solidworks.

You can also think of the grid units as whatever units you like. Sometimes I interpret them as meters, other times as cm.

-AJ

01 January 2013
There's also a measure tool in maya that can be used in the same way as the grid units but allows more freedom to choose between 2 points in any straight lined direction and will display the distance on screen.

Only problem with using the grid units is once you've chosen a certain unit of measure such as meters, you better hope no one asks you to change something by 2.5 inches. It can get complicated.

Like AJ said if you want accuracy go with a CAD program.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by NightOwl3D: Can anything really be scaled in Maya or Max etc to 100% accuracy?
I'm interested to know how someone would go about scaling several modelled objects from various artists for an office scene and nothing has been scaled.
For example the pencil is bigger than the desk lamp, the office chair is bigger than the desk with their transformations frozen.
I haven't worked in the industry as a modeler long but I can't remember ever being asked to scale a model I've finished working on. Thought maybe its usually done by the Layout dudes.
However I've had instances where I would have to keep my model roughly the same scale as an extremely low poly object provided by someone else at another studio, which I assume was because it was to the correct scale.

I suppose if you went from really tiny to really huge you might get some problems from floating point issues, but I've done a fair amount of scaling by factors of 100 (converting cm to meters) and never noticed any problems. I'm pretty sure modelers in a studio are told to model to same scale for the sake of convenience down the pipeline, not because scaling a finished model is technically difficult.

01 January 2013
It's not necessary unless you're leaning more towards Engineering. For entertainment purposes like movies and video games you can have your own measurements.

For example: Video games that use the Unreal Engine such as Unreal Tournament or Gears of War, the average height of the characters, if they were to appear in real life, are actually 7 feet tall. Compare that to the actual average height in real life which is 5.4" to 5.7''.

Here's another example:

A statue of the character Kratos in God of War game in real life, that's how big he would be in real life!

01 January 2013
Maybe I didn't give the best example of what I was trying to say.
I didn't really mean the unit of measure being used, which yes in studios they would try and keep to something like cm and meters across all modelers using the grid.
What I was wondering is who makes sure that the scale of say Optimus Prime in Transformers is consistant throughout the movie and how would they usually ensure the scale is in proportion to the real-life surroundings in every shot.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by NightOwl3D: Maybe I didn't give the best example of what I was trying to say.
I didn't really mean the unit of measure being used, which yes in studios they would try and keep to something like cm and meters across all modelers using the grid.
What I was wondering is who makes sure that the scale of say Optimus Prime in Transformers is consistant throughout the movie and how would they usually ensure the scale is in proportion to the real-life surroundings in every shot.

I have no idea, I'm far from a professional on these things. But I would imagine them using real life objects or even humans in the scene to keep the Transformers proportionate. An off-topic subject but somewhat related to your inquiry, and I don't intend on sparking political debate, the shadow cast off by a man walking within the Abbottabad compound in the spy drone footage was used to measure the man's height as it was the only identity linking to Osama Bin Laden at that time. So there are many ways to keep these 3D models in proportion.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread