CGTalk > General Techniques > Modeling
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
WodenDigital
Storyteller

portfolio
Timothy Hole
WodenDigital
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Clarification on intersecting geometry

Whilst i am mainly a Maya/C4D user I am guessing this relates to nearly all applications.

Can someone clarify to me whether it is fine or bad practice to intersect objects. Let me give a simple example:

I am detailing a car and have modelled the wing mirrors separately. The cylindrical object is then pushed through the wing of the car. Is this bad practice?

Second option place the wing mirror so that it is so close to the geometry on the wing that it is. It perceptible to the eye as two objects.

Third option combine the vertices on the end of the wing mirror to some vertices on the wing of the car.

Now in my mind the third option would be preferable but would be more time consuming.

If I was to push the wing mirror through the wing you essentially then have a cylindrical object passing through a face; if/when you combine the two objects so that the program sees them as on in the same does that face, that now has a model pushed through it, inherently become an NGON? Or is not an NGON because it hasn't created more vertices?

Do people intersect objects with the intention of cleaning them up at the end?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your time people

Tim

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I think it's just something you have to consider on a case by case basis. If the camera is gonna get super close up, intersecting objects are gonna noticeably look off. In other situations, it's not worth the time and extra geometry to avoid intersections.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Intersecting is very common compromise practice, even most of the models for sale on Turbosquid have intersected parts. Textures will cover it in most cases. Properly welded components is fine if you really need it and have time to do it. I would say just adopt the method that works for you while making your geometry look good.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
WodenDigital
Storyteller

portfolio
Timothy Hole
WodenDigital
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Thanks very the reply both of you, put my mind at ease. I just wasn't sure how the renderer perceived the polygon's. I completely understand the point about being up close, but if you can get away with it then all fine and dandy.

I appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread