CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Slaba
portfolio
Liam Carlin
United Kingdom

Architectural Modelling - Mesh Preference?

Hey Everyone,

I am currently in the process of creating a modular-esque concept house for my animation class.

I have completed my design and drawn the blueprints in Illustrator (You can see below). My initial thinking was to import the AI file as curves and model from there.

In the past when modelling buildings I have just created each element separate.

For example I have created a plane for the floor. Then created another plane for the roof, then the walls and so on so forth.

So for this particular project I've broke it down to modelling the structure and the contents inside - Furniture, Lights... etc

So as I normally create each element individually is it better to create the whole structure as one mesh?

The reason I'm asking is because I dont know the best modelling practice and whether 'One Mesh' is universal for all forms of modelling.

I think my question is really. Should I model the structure of my modular house as one mesh or a few different ones and then combine in a scene?

I hope I have waffled on too much...

Thanks
Liam

EDIT: My current tools for this project as CS6 Suite, Maya 2013.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

I can't think of a single reason you'd want to model it as one mesh, so no, just do what you've been doing. Because it's a circular building the walls would probably all be one mesh but that's about it.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Slaba
portfolio
Liam Carlin
United Kingdom

Thanks Richard. I've since been given the same advice so separate objects it is. I am half way through the modelling and I think its been a much quicker process modelling everything individually. Thanks again

Liam

Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread