ruined cityscape for comp: best way to create?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
ruined cityscape for comp: best way to create?

Basically, I'm wanting to create something like

Is modelling something like this even remotely an efficient way to go about it, or would it simply be better to magic something up in Photoshop from various photos and such? (or find a matte painter)
It's for a short film and will only be comped as a background visible behind hills in the distance.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
For the type of shot you are talking about I think modelling is going to be a lot of work with no real benefit. Depending on how far in the distance the city is I would go for a 2.5d approach.

Have the really far off stuff as a matte painting, the mid distance stuff as cards or simple geometry with matte paintings projected so you can see some parallax.

Only stuff that gets closest to camera as modelled geometry (this is assuming the camera ever gets that close or the move is big enough to see any parallax).

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Well, it's only the skyscrapers that are necessary (thankfully, otherwise it'd take years to model). I had a quick go at modelling one and I think it's doable. If I were to model them, it's just getting that 'random destruction' look.
I don't imagine there are any helpful Maya plugins out there anyone can think of?

I'm using LayoutTools to give a bit of randomisation to size, rotation and placement of floors, girders, architectural features etc, then going and marquee-selecting swathes of faces and deleting them. Of course this means I need a lot of divisions in my geometry to begin with which is a bit of and inefficient use of computing power. It's a bit dirty.

If I do that for a few buildings though, I figure I can 'destroy' them some more in Photoshop and then just repeat variations of them.

Last edited by Richard7666 : 12 December 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread