Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Need Rendered Shading; Gmax?

Hey all,

I create aircraft for Flight Simulator and Prepar3D. I make them in Gmax (I know, old world). I need to be able to create the rendered shading in the textures. I think in Max-talk, this is called texture-baking (not sure).

Is it possible.... to do this with another program other then Max? Something a tad more affordable?

I can export this model to 3DS format, but the process renames all the textures and of course obliterates the animations. But the mapping remains intact. My thoughts are, can I put a plane 'scene' into another program, re-setup the textures for the scene, then 'bake' the shading into the textures, and then I have shadows, and I keep the same textures and the Gmax model scene remains in Gmax / Gmax format. (Another words, use another program for only texture baking the shadows into the textures).

I know alot of things, but nothing on shadow renderings cooked into textures. Any advice would be invaluable to me.

Up to now, I hand shade the textures in layers in Photoshop. But its very evident that its just not good enough, not high quality.

Some samples of my shading work, manually done.

More at the website; www.lionheartcreations.com

It would be pretty nice if I could continue for a while using Gmax and use a secondary program for shading. I do realize though that its time to move up to 3DS Max. Money keeps me (presently) from doing this though.

Bill
LHC

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
I think you're talking about ambient occlusion?. There is a free standalone software called xnormal, it's main purpose is creating normal maps and of course ambient occlusion:

http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

Look under tutorial section for ambient occlusion. Once you generate the AO, simply open photoshop and set the layer to multiply over your current texture (that is the common way to go, but feel free to try other layer mixing)

By the way, your texture work is already pretty solid, the AO would certainly help bring the quality up a notch.

Last edited by Psyk0 : 12-28-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhart
....Up to now, I hand shade the textures in layers in Photoshop....

Then playing with the AO layer will be even easier for you and give you predictable results and more control.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyk0
I think you're talking about ambient occlusion?. There is a free standalone software called xnormal, it's main purpose is creating normal maps and of course ambient occlusion:

http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

Look under tutorial section for ambient occlusion. Once you generate the AO, simply open photoshop and set the layer to multiply over your current texture (that is the common way to go, but feel free to try other layer mixing)

By the way, your texture work is already pretty solid, the AO would certainly help bring the quality up a notch.

Awesome awesome! I'll check this out right now! Many thanks....

Thanks also for the kind words.

Bill
LHC

Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

I couldnt seem to get it to work. Awesome looking program. I went through all the tutorials.

The AO that it produces was of a different base texture then selected, and slightly damaged with triangles missing.

I 'think' it might be because I have 20 to 30 base textures in the plane model. I tried it with a 3DS version file and an OBJ file. Both did the same thing.

xNormal 4.0 supposedly will have the ability to do many AO textures at once, they say. It is not out yet, nor a beta available yet.

Many thanks though for the heads up. It was hope for a day and it felt really good.

Bill

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Wouldn't it be possible for you to create a "texture atlas"? that simply means merging all of your UV's into one big sheet (and also merge texture files together into 1), so when you bake you'll have only one outpout. In 3d max it's quite easy to do...

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
lionhart
Frequenter

portfolio
Bill Ortis
CEO
Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Glendale, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyk0
Wouldn't it be possible for you to create a "texture atlas"? that simply means merging all of your UV's into one big sheet (and also merge texture files together into 1), so when you bake you'll have only one outpout. In 3d max it's quite easy to do...

Hey Psyk0,

I wish I could. I really need to get Max. Right now I am in Gmax which doesnt have such exotic UVW remapping capabilities. It would take me probaby 2 weeks to switch over mapping to one single graphics sheet, then it would need to be recut back into sections for the production payware graphics replacements/updates.

I just counted up my Materials (some are multi materials) and I am at exactly 50 Mat's. :S

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread