Question About Interpenetrating Geometry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Question About Interpenetrating Geometry

For my student film project I've been building an environment that is canyon-like with giant shelves that penetrate from the canyon walls to form a plateau. My question is i modeled the Terrain as one separate geometry and the shelves as their own geometries. Would there be problems later on (mostly with rendering) if i did not connect the shelves to the main terrain Geometry? Or should i try to connect the shelves to the terrain and then export to zbrush to make the details. I hope i explained my issue well enough if not post and i will try to clarify further.
Thanks in Adv

09 September 2012
I don't really understand the scenario but I think I understand your question and I think it depdends on which software you are using, although I'd say as long as two faces aren't in the same plane (which sometimes renders artifacts), there should be no problem with intersecting faces. If you are asking about the behaviour it would have in ZBrush then I have noooo idea
Hope it helps!

P.S.: If that isn't what you were asking for then I'm sure a picture would be of help for us to understand your problem

09 September 2012
Hello,

I think you should try to do a quick and dirty render test, just to see if you see ani artifacts! And if you see problems try to post this render.

Andre

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread