Default Speeding up Batch Render in Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Question Speeding up Batch Render in Maya?

I've created my first scene for a demo reel. Very short scene. I'm in the process of batch rendering it but it seems to be taking an excessive amount of time to render....2 days so far and only 80 .tiffs created. Scene has 400 frames total. I also noticed that the .tiff files doesn't show the image I used for IBL (image based lighting). I assume the problem is my render settings.

So I have a few questions:
  • What are the best render settings for a simple, short animation that contains 400 frames, IBL, mental-ray shaded models? Should I reduce frames perhaps?
  • What specific adjustments need to be made in render settings so that IBL shows in final animation? The .tiffs being output appear to have white background without IBL.
  • Can you provide suggestions to speed up the batch render? It's my first time trying to output a full res animation so I'm sure its the render settings that need to be tweaked.
My system info is listed below.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

www.fluidpotential.com
Join Me On Twitter

Also on Facebook!

Last edited by fluidpotential : 07 July 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
what are your render settings? antialiasing? final gather? global illumination? is your IBL emitting light? 80frames in 2 days is pretty slow.

and there should be a box you can check in the IBL attributes called "visible as environment", or something like that, so your IBL image shows up in the background.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
I've posted my render settings below.

Can you direct me to where I can find the option to show the IBL in my batch render? I didn't see it. Thanks!

www.fluidpotential.com
Join Me On Twitter

Also on Facebook!

Old 07 July 2012   #4
"visible as environment" is in the attributes for your IBL node under 'Render Stats', but I think it's on by default. What are you viewing your .tiffs in? I've had problems with MR nodes( mia shaders, ibl environments, etc) not showing up if i use a basic image viewer to look at my renders. It shows up correctly if I use something like Photoshop though.

Your render settings look pretty basic so thats probably not where all the render time is coming from. Whats the poly count on your scene and are you using your IBL node to emit light?

If you want, send me your scene, and I'll poke around it and see what i can see.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot.png (16.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 08 August 2012   #5
Thumbs up

Thanks for the insight! I opened the tiff in photoshop and the IBL image shows!

The other issue may be that I have it 400 frames? Would that cause the render to slow down?

Good thing is that in Maya 2013 when I close the laptop the batch render picks back up from where it left off automatically and continues to render in background so I suppose I could just be patient for this scene. But going forward I'll make sure to follow an guidance to get a better render.

I've attached a clip of the scene with the poly count.

www.fluidpotential.com
Join Me On Twitter

Also on Facebook!

Old 08 August 2012   #6
Another Question -- Reducing Frames

So far my machine has output 285 tiff files which I assume is 285 frames? My scene is 400 frames long. The remaining frames aren't completely necessary as the camera is just zooming in on the model. If I cancel my batch render and use the frames output to compile the animation, will there be any issues with it if I used 285 frame images to compile the animation (though it was originally designed for 400 frames)?

www.fluidpotential.com
Join Me On Twitter

Also on Facebook!

Old 08 August 2012   #7
good, glad you found your background was rendering.

400 frames would make the overall render longer just because its more frames to render, but it wouldn't make each frame take longer to render.

Your poly count isn't insanely high but it might be a little much for your laptop. Most of those little bumps (condensation?) could probably be done in the future with a bump or displacement to lower the poly count and hopefully speed things up.

Are you using an .hdr format image for your IBL? You could try saving it out into a different format to lower the file size. That could shave a little time each frame just because its less for your system to load. It might not do much but with the render times your talking about it might be worth it.

Still, 80 frames in two days is like a half hour a frame. Thats crazy long for such a simple scene. If you checked your IBL and its not emitting light, which can drastically increase render times, and without poking around your scene myself, I'd guess its your poly count just being more than your system can easily handle.

Old 08 August 2012   #8
you dont have to use all 400 frames if its just a linear animation.

Old 08 August 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread