Converting a high poly sculpt into a game mesh?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Converting a high poly sculpt into a game mesh?

Hi all,

I have received an assignment where I am to convert a high poly Zbrush sculpt into a game model.

However, I am not sure how to go about it. The Zbrush sculpt is divided into many parts (etc Body, clothes, gloves, pants).

I remember seeing how game model are often one single mesh, with objects like weapons and hair being separate.

Does that mean I have to merge the clothes, gloves, pants etc into the main body mesh?

Thanks.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Does the high poly sculpt have a suitable low res level 1 base mesh?

If not, you are probably expected to create one by either retopologising, or reducing the polycount on the lowest subdiv level in something like Maya or Max and fixing UVs where necessary.

About game models being all one piece, that's not really a necessity, in my experience.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
i have same question..so i thought better ask here than creating a new thread..and it might as well help the TS as well.

my question is.

i have sculpted a high res model which doesn't have an organised mesh,, now i did a retopo of the high res model in topogun.... now how do i create the normal map of the high res and apply it to my low res model ??? I can make a uv layout of low res in maya ,but, wat about the hight res model ??? as far as i know , to extract normal map from zbrush , your model has to have a uv map..

now i don't know of xnormal software much, can i use this software to extract normal map without making a uv layout of high res ??

any tutorial regarding this will be much appreciated

Old 07 July 2012   #4
You don't have to UV the high poly mesh.

---->Unless you want to paint on it in zbrush and use that as a start for the textures, in that case a simple UV layout from zbrush will do the trick, no need to have perfect UV's.

Also tutorials here:
http://www.xnormal.net/Tutorials.aspx

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Psyk0: You don't have to UV the high poly mesh.

---->Unless you want to paint on it in zbrush and use that as a start for the textures, in that case a simple UV layout from zbrush will do the trick, no need to have perfect UV's.

Also tutorials here:
http://www.xnormal.net/Tutorials.aspx

thanks for taking out time and helping, much appreciated

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Originally Posted by flatulentFuzz: Does the high poly sculpt have a suitable low res level 1 base mesh?

If not, you are probably expected to create one by either retopologising, or reducing the polycount on the lowest subdiv level in something like Maya or Max and fixing UVs where necessary.

About game models being all one piece, that's not really a necessity, in my experience.

It does not have a good low res level 1 base mesh.

I am currently re-toping in 3ds max.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread