softimage 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2011   #76
favorite/best 2012 update:
Quicktime in 64-bit (seriously)
second favorite:
editing of weightmaps in the weight editor (but still wish that smooth op was available for all map types)

best ice update/bugfix:
fixed iceattributes being aggressively culled on scene open if the referenced object has not been loaded yet (hosed icetrees on reference models referencing objects other than self)

of course the other ice stuff is amazing too, but in terms of immediate production impact, these are the best, imo.

Old 04 April 2011   #77
I know that drag is a physical concept.A car moving is also a force against Air. But it does not encompasses all Resistance.
When i have said
Quote: Why instead of "Drag" not use a much more simpler concept like "Resistance"

I should have said: Why instead of "Drag" not use a much more broad concept like "Resistance"

Old 04 April 2011   #78
Originally Posted by PiotrekM: yea right. there are tons of these kind of topics in 3ds/maya forums. with people bitching about bugs/features/lack of dev

That is for sure true, and will happen no matter where you go. I like to think that Softimage users "usually" go about it in a different manner as I think there is a greater care for the software we use. Max and Maya are riddled with piraters and people that jump from package to package, as where I think Softimage users tend to be more longterm users who do invest money in a product that they care about, and do not want it to go the route of the other two. That is why I think there is more of a "passion" behind the debates/coversations, that no matter the negativity that is displayed, it is usually constructive in one form or another.

Last edited by Rez007 : 04 April 2011 at 08:13 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #79
Originally Posted by Bullit: I know that drag is a physical concept.A car moving is also a force against Air. But it does not encompasses all Resistance.
When i have said
I should have said: Why instead of "Drag" not use a much more broad concept like "Resistance"

resistance would require a directional input, no? the drag compound uses pointvelocity to get the direction.

that said, taking the drag compound as inspiration, plus a helpful wiki article on say... friction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction to get some bit of accuracy in to the mix, you can build and share a "resistance" compound with the community.

Old 04 April 2011   #80
Originally Posted by Rez007: Thats great that you guys did those things too, but there are still a lot that gets consistently overlooked... (i.e.) Did you guys fix that Memo Camera bug that I have had for over many years and many releases that I have reported numerous times and has been logged - on every release? That is a really frustrating one and is quite a hinderance.

Ha yes, the good ol', "but you didn't fix my one bug" reply - an internet classic

I checked in our database and we have one memo cam bug report from you, closed as not reproducable. All your report said "Preset cameras sometimes go away on layout change from Compositor to default. Especially when going from the compositor layout to the default layout. Happens once in a while" Computers are not random.. stuff must be reproducable under some circonstances and the QA spent time on it and didn't find anything.

Btw if this was a big deal I would have guess it would have been reported by many the thousands users, but I haven't found other references. Not saying the bug doesn't exist, but we're not psychics and cannot find things that 'happen once in a while'. We need defect reports that are actionable, we have thousands of reports in the database.

Last edited by luceric : 04 April 2011 at 09:12 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #81
Originally Posted by luceric: Ha yes, the good ol', "but you didn't fix my one bug" reply - an internet classic

I checked in our database and we have one memo cam bug report from you, closed as not reproducable. All your report said "Preset cameras sometimes go away on layout change from Compositor to default. Especially when going from the compositor layout to the default layout. Happens once in a while" Computers are not random.. stuff must be reproducable under some circonstances and the QA spent time on it and didn't find anything.

Btw if this was a big deal it should be reported by many the thousands users, but I haven't seen anything else. Not saying the bug doesn't exist, but we're not psychics and cannot find things that 'happen once in a while'. We need defect reports that are actionable, and with thousands of reports in the database, the clearer ones and the high priority ones for many people get the priority

Fantastic attitude from someone that works at AD - very professional. I am unsure, but didn't you violate terms of Agreement that I have with AD by giving away information to the public that I posted in a confidential manner with AD without my consent? - I might be wrong. As for why the others not being there, dont know why there is only one maybe it was just resent instead of a new user case created. Hence, if you look at the date created and last modified there is about 1.5+ years gap, maybe phone conversations that take place with support, listing a number of incidences at one time it might have gotten missed. This is something that has been an issue for a long time - and your "we spent time on it and could not reproduce it" sometimes takes longer than a quick ol' once over. The "happens once in a while" that you like to take out of context from a header where shortness and clarity is usually required (phone conversatoins are ticketed by your support team, not always personaly by me) as I made clear in my finding and the phone conversations that the scene becomes "dirty" over time by flipping between the two layouts, once that "dirtyness" takes place it will happen everytime the scene is opended... but then, let me guess no one uses FXTree anymore, everyone uses Nuke or something else argruement comes along, that may be why not many experience it. I know for sure I am not the only one also that this has happened to during my conversation with AD...definitely not high priority, but it's there.

I do acknowledge the work you guys do and I was in no way implying that you didn't fix my "one bug" to be some sort of "gotcha," if that is the way you took it, oh well. Maybe taking the time to actually look into it further and asking me about it rather than looking up a history report and plastering on here would have been better served.

Last edited by Rez007 : 04 April 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #82
Quote: yea right. there are tons of these kind of topics in 3ds/maya forums. with people bitching about bugs/features/lack of dev

pardon my lack of details on that one. i was reffering to the whole "let's-all-pour-our-bitterness-towards-each-other" kind of attitude...
i've yet to see that one in a houdini forum...

Old 04 April 2011   #83
Originally Posted by Rez007: Fantastic attitude from someone that works at AD - very professional. I am unsure, but didn't you violate terms of Agreement that I have with AD by giving away information to the public that that I posted in a confidential manner with AD without my consent? - I might be wrong. As for why the others not being there, dont know why there is only one maybe it was just resent instead of a new user case created. Hence, if you look at the date created and last modified there is about 1.5+ years gap, maybe phone conversations that take place with support, listing a number of incidences at one time it might have gotten missed. This is something that has been an issue for a long time - and your "we spent time on it and could not reproduce it" sometimes takes longer than a quick ol' once over

This is really all that I have, these 5 lines. I'm posting to explain that the report is not currently opened, and hoping you'll have more information. I do not actually have any access to the customer support history, case numbers, etc. That's a totally different system that belongs to the support team. At my level, bugs in the development database get assigned to a QA , who attempts to nail reproduce them, and that gets escalated back to me for triage to a developer.

I'm not sure what problem you're running into, but I did write the code that saves and loads view properties (12 years ago). If you have multiple layouts with view managers (i.e. the view with the 4 viewports), then there is a system that tries to match the view settings to different layouts (first setting, first layout, second setting, second layout) that can produce unexpected results sometimes (especially between machines or software versions because they have layouts in a different order). Perhaps you're encountering that. It's not about the composting layouts per see, but using different layouts that have view managers. The single monitor compositing layout, of course, doesn't have a view manager and therefore would make this behavior unreproducable for a QA trying to nail this down

Last edited by luceric : 04 April 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #84
Originally Posted by luceric: This is really all that I have, these 5 lines. I'm posting to explain that the report is not currently opened, and hoping you'll have more information. I do not actually have any access to the customer support history, case numbers, etc. That's a totally different system that belongs to the support team. At my level, bugs in the development database get assigned to a QA , who attempts to nail reproduce them, and that gets escalated back to me for triage to a developer.

I'm not sure what problem you're running into, but I did write the code that saves and loads view properties (12 years ago). If you have multiple layouts with view managers (i.e. the view with the 4 viewports), then there is a system that tries to match the view settings to different layouts (first setting, first layout, second setting, second layout) that can produce unexpected results sometimes (especially between machines or software versions because they have layouts in a different order). Perhaps you're encountering that. It's not about the composting layouts per see, but using different layouts that have view managers. The single monitor compositing layout, of course, doesn't have a view manager and therefore would make this behavior unreproducable for a QA trying to nail this down

I tried PMing you my bug issue on here, as to not want to hijack this thread from its intended purpose, but you have your private messages blocked. I can open another case file if you like on AD with attention to you so I can explain it better, and hopefully we can nail this thing down. I use and really like the FXTree a lot, and like you said, it is most likely not an FXTree issue but a switching layout issue that is causing it (I just noticed it with the FXTree). It is certainly not high pripority to others, but it is to me, as you will loose all your Memoed Cameras during a switch once the scene becomes "dirty," and even if you recreate the memoed cams and resave...they still become lost. Thanks.

Last edited by Rez007 : 04 April 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #85
If I don't post the forum is forsaken, if I post anything that isn't helping somebody finding a button I'm apparently attacking people.
If AD doesn't post, they don't give a ****, if they do, they get insulted or their statements nitpicked.
If Soft builds the platform to enable 3rd party developers and large scale adoption, they forsook the small user, if they don't and toss in a million retarded small commands, they aren't working on the back-end and stability before adding inane little features.
If they adopt the latest MRay, it sucks, if they don't, why aren't they doing it like max and chucking in a shit release like everybody else?!
The small user feels unlistened to, that's why the small user doesn't even speak up, because they aren't gonna listen in first place right?
XSI is for the big shops, XSI isn't used enough in the big shops...

There's no winning this one.

I thought about explaining what I posted and why, why it wasn't an attack to anybody and all that, but frankly, I'm tired of the tit for tat responses. If a person's reaction to debate is to nerd-rage out of a discussion two posts in and ask for their account to be deleted, then so be it, I'm not going to waste my time onit.
Go ahead, ragequit like this is a battlefield2 forum instead of explaining yourself if that makes you feel better, it's cool with me, less moderation work and hours off my day to deal with veiled insults and insinuations that I don't even read posts before responding.

Thanks to the rest for the compliments, bigger thanks again for the constructive criticism be it here, in other threads or in PM.
I'm bowing out of this and will consider changing my style of moderation to be more in line with what goes on elsewhere, which usually boils down to removing threads that I don't care for trying to steer, and let people post piles of crap for everybody else to freely consume, elaborate on, or whinge about as they feel.

Internet drama, love it!

Old 04 April 2011   #86
some post I have to read twice to believe my eyes. pulling in a specific bug report and lament that it got not that high priority is one thing. but then, when one responsible person tries to explain why sometimes thing go that way on this specific bug, blaming that one for being unprofessional is quite 'unexpectable'.
I use XSI since version 1 but switched more to Houdini since version 8, but still everytime I work with XSI I feel comfortable with this fine piece of software. And ICE is great. Nobody at odforce laughs about this, that's simply not the style of most people there. Some people want there tool to be powerfull and mighty, but that means You have to grow, too. What kind of software design do You have in mind, I only can hear some whining that it is so complicated and difficult. What do You want it to look like. mh, press buttons? I think that is the wrong way. then You will end up with 200 buttons, and every time someone shows something You can say oh lool that was button 134. I prefer it the way softimage implemented it. the users that are willing to do their homework can get great stuff out of this system. there are tons of books out there that get You started with vectors and matrices. If You don't like that, maybe the TD job is not Your part. That does not mean anything bad, modeling , scultping, texturing, compositing, animation that are all great fields in that job, but they are hard work, too, to learn. There will be always a point where You are frustrated and need assistance. But luckily there are places like this, for example where You can find help. That brings me to the next point. You don't have to glorify software developers and forum moderators, but just respect the time and effort they spent to either assist users here or run places like this. Regardless if You don't like MAYA, SOFTIMAGE, HOUDINI, MAX and so on, it takes a lot to create such tools, without, most of us would be out of business. and some mods from here do not only help here, they are also active on other forums and mailing list, spending their time helping others.
Just think about it.

Old 04 April 2011   #87
It is unbelievable how people react in such bad way, i mean there been 5 pages in wich i just see constructive critics, rez might overreacted a bit, but that is another story.

Its like you dont want people to speak their mind, just shutup and dont say anything, keep softimage as it is bad or good, and shut up.
wow that is so gonna help right?
Wonder what is the use of a forum if not share ideas, confrontation, in good and bad aspects, i dont see anyone here jumping to insult.

Seems everyone is touchy as soon as we rise up softimage problems..
i didnt think to see this reaction really..wow
lets just keep being silent. everything is perfect, peace and love.

@Luceric, appreciate your work and the rest of dev team really i still think there are way to many overlooked things, and keep going this way it'll end up like 3ds max 2011.

i'm done here now

/cheers Rob

Old 04 April 2011   #88
Originally Posted by RebelPixel: Its like you dont want people to speak their mind, just shutup and dont say anything, keep softimage as it is bad or good, and shut up.
wow that is so gonna help right?

If anything, I regret not taking this approach sooner, given the amount of valuable users this forum lost thanks to crap like the one that surfaced here, and the ones that stuck around to smear it further.

Quote: Wonder what is the use of a forum if not share ideas, confrontation, in good and bad aspects, i dont see anyone here jumping to insult.

I see a lot of whinging and bitching, I haven't seen ideas shared.
For the above, the thread is now being closed, and will later on be renamed so that come next release what rare times people use the search function, won't dredge this crap up.

Thread Closed share thread