CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Miscellaneous > Autodesk Softimage
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
janzak

Post Production level renderer for solo projects

Hey guys,
I've been using Mental Ray in Softimage for the past 5 years but after using Arnold I can't go back. I'm now looking for a renderer suited for single/two person projects, i.e. not Arnold since licensing is more expensive and it's built for larger projects.

At the moment I'm looking at Vray and Octane. Vray since it seems to be easy enough to get photo realistic renders (compared to MR) and Octane for its realtime previewing.

What I value is; fast lookdev, photo real rendering and streamlined tweakability. I'm willing to invest in a CUDA enabled GPU (Titan) if that would put Octane ahead.

Any other renderers for XSI you prefer for solo projects?

All thoughts much appreciated.
Jan

Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
lucericr
PRO

portfolio
Luc-Eric
Maya UI Team
Montreal, Canada

there are a couple of other renders for Softimage that are worth a look. 3Delight, and on the GPU side, there is RedShift. you can find more discussions about them on "si community".

Old 11-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
mantragora
Old Member

portfolio
To be, or not to be, TD ?
mantragora
hell, Antarctica

3Delight is overcomplicated compared to Arnold and RedShift is still in beta, I think. Switch to Modo .

EDIT: Oh, they released RedShift. Going to red some posts .

magic happens here... sometimes
go nodeway

Old 11-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
oktawu
visual stuff

Octavian
okto
Earth, Romania

Redshift has gone into open beta. As soon as they get their payment system in order, anyone will be able to access it. To be honest, right now, i'd say it is the best alternative for small studios / freelancers. Hands down.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
3D artist
Talvi Digital
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
I think you answered this question yourself - Vray. I digg Arnold the most but its exellent too.
I can`t say Modo would be bad - you can get alembic plugin to Soft and get everything to Modo for rendering. The render nodes are very affordable or should I say free.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Kzin
Expert

portfolio
Holger Tesch
Shading/Lighting Artist
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Kzin
redshift is the way to go. arnold is to slow a for single person, same for vray. with redshift you can easily decrease your rendertime with a additionel graphic card. but its also fast with one card, also fast enough for animations.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Leaving it to "solo" is probably not enough info to be honest.
If you need to produce stills, or short foreground character contributions to plates, then Arnold or VRay might be your best pick, depending on what your prevalent setting is like (their estimators tend to shine in completely different circumstances, with VRay performing better on the interiors architecture lighting scenarios).

If you need to produce a lot of footage without a mini farm available, and you don't have the complexity and bandwidth requirements that only an offline renderer can cope with (particularly in terms of footprint) then Redshift is likely to be a much better choice on account of turnaround time.

There's no clear winner across all fronts, it's always the usual juggling of fast, cheap and good (loosely comparing, not those three attributes specifically as much as the same concept) with any given engine really shining at only one or two of those at the same time.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
mirkoj
c:\>format c:_
portfolio
Mirko Jankovic
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Send a message via MSN to mirkoj
With Redshift for solo freelance production you can't get wrong.
There are couple details still missing but there is open beta as mentioned so go a head and give it a try. Nothing to loose.

Need some help with rendering an Redshift project?
http://www.gpuoven.com/

Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread