Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
acronymous
portfolio
Michael Hoepfel
Berlin, Germany

"parameter connection editor" fails with rgb connections

Hi all,

for a bigger number of textured objects I want to animate the rgb values of their internal phong nodes with one single rgb animation of some control object.

On first sight this seemed possible with the animation parameter:
- check "all nodes" for driving and driven object
- select objects´ phong nodes & refresh the editors according side to load phong parameters
- for driven object use a multiple selection
- connect all rgb parameters of the driving object with the analogical values of the many driven objects with the selected Equal function (like driving ambient r = driven ambient r and so on)

This worked well and I was really happy - until I reopened this scene again to find out that my connections were saved only randomly:
- often only one of the driven objects had kept it´s connections to the driving object
- sometimes only one or two of the rgb parameters were still connected so that the driven objects got colored most randomly

The equal signs in the parameter´s checkboxes (that used to be all there after connecting) reproduced the loss of connections since most of them were not there any longer.
I repeated this in many tests and found out that this problem only occurs with driving/driven color parameters (those shown with the "show all parameters" setting switched on) and never with the usual parameters like kinematics and such.

Can anybody confirm this problem - or know a reason for this? Or maybe have advice how else I can centrally change material parameters of individually textured objects?

Any help or hints greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
IZZE
perma-noob

portfolio
Christopher McCabe
Dallas, USA

Send a message via MSN to IZZE
If I understand correctly, this is what you are working towards? EXAMPLE SCENE

SI 2013 SP1

Last edited by IZZE : 08-26-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
acronymous
portfolio
Michael Hoepfel
Berlin, Germany

Hi IZZE,

thanks a lot for your reply! Unfortunately I cannot open your scene since I´m using the 2011 version. If you don´t mind tell me what you did - or maybe you have ways to export as an older version?

I solved my problem by classically using posx translations of control objects to drive my color animation. Obviously the problem is not driving the rgb values - but rather driving parameters by rgb as input. At least in my case this was not saved correctly.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread