Suede / Alcantara shader tips?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Suede / Alcantara shader tips?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to replicate a Suede / Alcantara texture like this:

http://www.jdmchicago.com/images/wi-nsx2/resized/13.jpg

So far I am a bit stumped on how to get a shader which reacts to the light accurately, any tips?!...

I found a tutorial for a suede in vray but it didn't seem to translate very easily.

Kind regards, William.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
It's actually not too hard with some shading models and a lot of textures to gently bend the normals in a similar pattern.

The classic look of short fuzzed weaven suede is given by two things:
1) The fuzz has direction, which means its specular changes drastically across the averaged surface producing those darker and lighter patches
2) The above is actully interspersed, requiring either a vey high density map and a ton of oversampling (impractical and prone to flickering), or a good noise + gloss sampling.

Anisotropic sampling can also help cheating some of the aspects and reducing the map work, but not so much in the picture you posted.

What rendering engine and what shading models do you have available?

Cook-Torrance glossy spec at low scale, high gloss and with some noise pumped in in Arnold can get pretty damn close.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Hello

Thanks for the reply, Sorry I didn't reply sooner, Work has been pretty crazy and not had time to look at my own work recently :(

I am using Mental ray built into Softimage. As far as shading models, I have no idea... pretty new to proper texturing, I have always focused on modelling.

I think I get most of what you suggested, but have had a play and am unsure how to get the equivalent to work in softimage... hmmmm

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread