Rendering interior matte with G.I. for composite

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Rendering interior matte with G.I. for composite

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any info on rendering matte's for a interior scene? I'm having problems getting the matte lighting(on the interior objects) to match the full scene render. I created separate passes and partitions for the objects in the scene. When I render the full scene it's fine, but when I render the matte the lighting on the interior objects is different because the interior walls are not being rendered. I have 3 lights in total. An infinite, a box spot in the window, and a point light with low settings inside the room.

Notice the difference in lighting on the stool. It seems that it's not getting any G.I. or F.G. If anyone has any info on how to make this work I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 04 April 2013   #2
If you're rendering a matte it would be usual for the object to be constant white, as you would only be using it to isolate parts of the beauty render.

If you want to render out seperate beauty passes for individual objects, add the rest of the room to a separate partition and add an override on that partition for primary visibility which should be ticked off, that leaves the secondary rays responsible for the FG calculation and shadows to still add their lighting contribution.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thanks Mattmos

Thanks a lot Mattmos for the direction! I was trying to follow what you said and noticed when I try to turn off the visibility for the override it's not selectable. Also, what's the best way to create the matte so it's black and white. Do you create an alpha in post, or is there a render setting that can achieve it in Soft? I noticed under the Regions/display/alpha, but not sure if you could create an alpha as a final render.

Thanks again.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
The way I create an alpha is by changing the material in your scene to a constant white, in this case your stool, and then by either making your other things not visible or put it in a separate partition, which it looks like you have already done, render that. Also be sure that any GI or Final Gathering is turned off (it wont make a difference in what it looks like but turning them off will speed up your render time).

Hope this helps.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks Rourker.....

Thanks Rourker.... I appreciate the info!

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread