Cool things in XSI no one knows!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2004
And another easy one:

When reassigning texture connections in the Render Tree you can keep shift pressed so when you let go the LMB the window with the... (how do you call that?) the things you can connect to doesn't close and you can select more than one.

Expample: You want to connect some texture to surface, shadow, photon of the material. Instead of clicking the red button, dragging it an let go over the material 3 times you can do it once with shift pressed and select three... of those... things... (man, bad english vocabulary day!)

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by HapZungLam: tag a point or points, hold down ALT and press arrows will select the next point. This works with multipule selections.

Sorry for the contradiction, but this isn't accurate. Alt+arrows traverses a component hierarchy by number; there is no guarantee that the components selected will actually be next to the ones you started with.

I used to think it did what you said, but I noticed odd behavior, and asked support, who clarified for me.

11 November 2004
Sometimes when using Gloss and Frost in the Transperancy/Reflection tabs, you need a really
low value, but XSI wouldnt let you go under 0.001..

here's a trick to fool XSI:

go to frame 1 , enter 0 in the Gloss or Frost, set a key.
go to frame 10 or so, and set 0.001 , then save another key.
Open the Animation Editor, and make the curve linear, now check in the Render Region
in which frame the Gloss/Frost looks good, and in the AE, insert a key in the current time,
then delete the other keys...

XSI might show a value of 0, or 0.001 in the Gloss/Frost parameter, but it will render
the actual value that we just keyd..

www.ozadi.com

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Doug Nicola: Here's a few I've collected (some obvious, some not, all very useful for me):

1. Use F3 to popup object properties context window

7. Loop/Range component selection -- This is super! Ctrl-click to select a loop (one for an edge, two for polys or points). Alt-click two components (start and end) to select a range. This is how it works with Softimage 3D selection model. I think the XSI selection model works a bit differently.

to add to that:

1. with your object selected, rightclick the Selection button in the Select MCP and you have quick access to all ppg's related to you object like kinematics and material

7. If you use xsi selection model its even easier; alt+LMB is for Range and alt+MMB is for Loop

12 December 2004
Few more tricks on transform panel.

When in the transform mode : (Changing keys between x,y,z in S,R,T mode)
-Double click the lmb activates the x axis
-Double click the mmb activates the y axis
-Double click the rmb activates the z axis
-Ctrl key+Doubleclick on *left *middle *right mouse button to add any transform axis
-Double clicking the activated axis again brings back all three axis

12 December 2004
yeah ah ah

These arejust some tips not really things in XSI necissarily...

- boolean is bad. dont do it unless you have to. (learned it the hardway)
- Buy a keyboard, do not try to do 3d wtih a laptop keyboard, it just doesnt work. (like if you want to meshsmooth something and its pitch dark in your room, you have to go turn on the numkey, and hten search for the lil + sign in the middle of your keyboard on the side of the 1/8th of inch tall keys... then you have to remember to turn it back off[always forgot that part])

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

01 January 2005
probably not something that no one knows about, but regardless i found it quite handy once i found it:

Gauge the Render Progress
Sometimes on really complex photon or f.g scenes, xsi seems to take forever to render and i was never really sure if it was working and how long it would take. To get xsi to log progress reports on renders, go to the render options, select the logged messages tab and then select the level of messages you please. Now open up the script editor before renders and it will show the progress of the render, including how far it is along sampling gi or fg or whatever else.

This is also very useful for checking to see that your photon effects or raytracing is working properly because xsi churns out all sorts of details like number of photons reflected and the sampling rates.

01 January 2005
Just found this.

You can hide selected polygons. I had no idea until I did it by accident one day.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this.

DWIII Entry

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by dmonk: Just found this.

You can hide selected polygons. I had no idea until I did it by accident one day.

Sorry if someone already mentioned this.

You forgot to say how do you do this, and maybe someone knows how to do the oposite, like isolating the selected polygons only, when I used isolate selecte, it isolates the whole object. if i am working in lests say the hand of a character, how can I isolate just the hand=?

You can customize the layout to work in a kind of EXPERT MODE.
Aplication > Layouts > Auto Hide. Full sreen.

But this lets the animation panel at the botton still visible, sot that frequently used when you are just modeling... I then created a new layout based on this one, and delete the animation panels.

Cool, but, I cant find a way to map this to a key, since this new layout does not appear in the keymapping panel.

The nice thing about these, is that if you need to go to the panels on the sides, you just have to move the mouse to one of those areas and the panels would pop-up.

Regards.!

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by HAYK´AP: You forgot to say how do you do this

Sorry!

Just select the polygons you want to hide and hit the "H" button.

DWIII Entry

02 February 2005
Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm just so excited I have to post about it... er... without searching first. Wouldn't no what to search for. Anyways, enough babbling.

I've been modeling a human head by working on one half and having a cloned mirror for the full effect. It was bugging me how the ortho viewport only has the "Right" option and not left. I tried object mode, but if you've tried object mode before, you know how it's not the same as a true ortho view.

The reason why this was such an annoyance to me is because I like to switch between wireframe, hidden line removal, and depth cue rendering styles, depending on how much I need to see. The problem with depth cue and hidden line removal modes is that the cloned half would obscure my working model (I removed selectability on the clone so not to get mixed up but the lines are still visible) and again, object mode can't help me in this situation.

So how did I resolve this? See those XYZ buttons in the viewport menu, just to the right of the camera and eyeball icons? RIGHT MOUSE click on the X and it flips the viewport on that axis. So for this Right ortho camera view, it does exactly what I need it to do, show me the left side without messing with the geometry itself (I tried scaling it on the -x to invert it and clone it again so that my working model would be "on top").

The side view is the only view that I run into this problem, simply because of the 2 halves overlapping each other in that view. Just a bit of XSI "sum-ting sum-ting" that I just learned (and prolly would have learned earlier if I RTFM). So again, if it's been discussed before or if it's just common knowledge I appologize for the redundancy!

02 February 2005
Originally Posted by erebos: probably not something that no one knows about, but regardless i found it quite handy once i found it:

Gauge the Render Progress
Sometimes on really complex photon or f.g scenes, xsi seems to take forever to render and i was never really sure if it was working and how long it would take. To get xsi to log progress reports on renders, go to the render options, select the logged messages tab and then select the level of messages you please. Now open up the script editor before renders and it will show the progress of the render, including how far it is along sampling gi or fg or whatever else.

This is also very useful for checking to see that your photon effects or raytracing is working properly because xsi churns out all sorts of details like number of photons reflected and the sampling rates.

Thanks for the tip, but to add to it:

I just tried your method (because I too have had renders that I thought simply were not progressing) and discovered that you don't need the script editor open. Once you set logged messages to "progress reports" you can watch the progress in the status bar.

Adam.

02 February 2005
Thumbs up My two cents

-Another useful hotkey I use quite often while modelling is: I + Alt + MMB . This selects a line going around the object, such as a newly created edge loop for example.
-The F hotkey also frames the selected object in the explorer aswell.

02 February 2005
yes the new edgeloop selection features are great.

to get an edge ring select 1 edge then alt + MMB a parallel edge and it will do a ring select.

there is also a range select. select 1 edge then a alt+LMB another edge anywhere. and it will try to find the quickest route to the other edge.

also keep in mind pressing alt is assuming your using default selection options. for anyone using the older SI|3D model. then its actually ctrl + ___

02 February 2005
Deleting Clusters

I often bring meshes into XSI using the OBJ format, and then always have to remove the "User_Normals" clusters, and sometimes other material or UV clusters.
It's not too hard to delete these clusters, but it can be a pain to navigate to them for every object and select the right one.

Solution ? Copy either of these lines to the script editor and run them. Afterwards you can drag them onto a toolbar if you want to create a permanent button.

DeleteObj "*.polymsh.cls.User_Normal_Cluster.User_Normal"

= Deletes the User Normal element from the User Normal Cluster, but leaves the other clusters like UV information, from every object in the scene.

DeleteObj "*.polymsh.cls.*"

= Deletes all clusters, including user normals, UV and material definitions.

reply share thread