Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Aaron Gerber

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2008
Aaron - Looks like you finished. Congratulations on getting it all done. But even though you're done, here are some crits and suggestions. (Lest anyone think I'm being "mean," Aaron specifically asked me for some! ) These are all things that you could change on this piece, or just keep in mind for the future and other paintings.

For such an intimate and personal piece like this, the expressions on the characters' faces are of utmost important. You've made life hard for yourself by using a lizard - generally expressionless - as the main character, but anthropomorphizing him a bit - for example, adding the hint of a smile, or a slightly arched eyelid indicating hopefulness - might not be out of place. She, on the other hand, is human and I still can't read her expression.

Try taking the shadows further to give a stronger sense of directional light. You have obviously spent a lot of time on the hands and clothing, but less on some other areas like her hair, under her neck, and the table.

Be careful about your building palcement in the background. The giant round tower in particular is placed right behind her head so that it reads a little like a hat.

Anyhow, just some small thoguhts. Eitehr way, nice work picking a scene with strong emotional content and a simple, effective layout. And of course, congrats for finishing on time too!

05 May 2008
Thanks Walrus!

In regards to the girl, I hesitated on, and debated on doing what I did. I intentionally just left her face rather hard to read. You can tell she is suprised, but for the better or worse... can't be sure. Which goes back to what does she see in him? Something good the lizard guy hopes. Also I felt I had made it look like he was smiling, lol but then again you are right... hard to read a lizards face. Also... I went with a lizardish type guy because I figure, we uplifted monkeys and dolphins, why wouldn't some race uplift a lizard on their home world.

(But thanks again Walrus, I appreciated your insightful comments!)

Last edited by silenceimpaired : 05 May 2008 at 01:46 PM.

05 May 2008
Hey Aaron, nice image and congrats on your finale You have a cool concept and think you are on the right way mate! You managed a nice background with a nice color and puts a cool deep on your image, a great point on your image. Nice to see that you take pohoto references for your work. I believe that CG challenges is a great learning experience, and Im glad that you enjoyed this experience, and sure thing is that you've grown as an artist. Congratulations and hope to see you in the next challenge Time for a really well deserved cold beer and a big big tequila bottle!! Cheers mate !!

05 May 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread