Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Aaron Gerber

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Aaron Gerber

Aaron Gerber is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: What does she see in him?

Old 04 April 2008   #2
Concept / pre-visualization: What does she see in him?

This is my first mock up of my image.

I explored a variety of images on google and flickr before I attempted this drawing. Very frustrating. Many restarts trying to get the right composition. I'm not quite satisfied on the outside... especially the flying saucer. Mostly there to remind me to put something in that reminds the viewer this isn't our time.

In the end, I had to start over quite a few times before I arrived at this. Thank God for Wacom, and the Undo button in Photoshop.

Let me know what you guys think of the composition, content, and layout. Last time I started a painting a little too hastily. :) Oh and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by silenceimpaired : 04 April 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: desire critque

Old 04 April 2008   #3
Fun concept! Nice clean simple composition, it works just fine! I can't say for sure, as I've never met an alien of that exact species before and I'm no certified Xenobiologist, but it feels to me like the alien's arms and hands are much too small and human-like for his head. Something a bit larger and more clawlike might suit the character better.

As for the woman, it's hard to read what her reaction to the proposal is... maybe you'll get mroe into that in the painting stage, but it would also be nice to get a better sense of what she's feeling.

Lastly, have you tried flipping the image. As her actions will be a reaction to his proposal, if may read more clearly (at least to western cultures who read left to right) to see him before her. Anyhow, just an idea... Good luck with the painting part!

Old 04 April 2008   #4
Concept / pre-visualization: Revision 1 of concept

Walrus - I love your artwork, especially Farewell Kiss, thanks for the suggestions... I've tried to incorporate them. I was noticing his hands and they're still not exactly as I would prefer, but this is still concept stages.

Thanks for the suggestion on flipping the image, it felt weird for a second but now it is settling in. I may yet switch it... As I see it, I like the concept of having the girl's reaction lead us to see what she is responding to... then again, everyone would want to know the reaction to the purposal of an alien.

Old 04 April 2008   #5
Concept / pre-visualization: A little Color

I often wonder what my strong points are in art- I don't suspect they're perspective, proportion or color... so maybe texture? We'll see.

For now, here is a first attempt at color on the foreground. Thoughts, suggestions, critiques, would be nice.

Old 04 April 2008   #6
Work In Progress: Closeup of Handsom

Slowly pushing detail into the head.

Old 04 April 2008   #7
Hey Aaron,

Great concept! You might want to put a look of suprise on her face, maybe her hands on her face like the home alone kid. Great job! Brad

Brads Uplift Thread

Old 04 April 2008   #8
Talking

Hey Aaron, thanks for the comment, I love your concept aswell, looks like your going to have a lot of detail in your work, i'll make sure to keep on checking back, want to see the final, cheers

Old 05 May 2008   #9
Work In Progress: The Lady of the Night

I reworked the hair 4 times and I'm still not sure about it. The face is on it's own layer as are the hands.

Old 05 May 2008   #10
I like the way these two are so casual, even though he has the head of a lizard. Nice to see such an open minded couple.

Old 05 May 2008   #11
Work In Progress: The Characters

Having brought the girl out more, I returned to her suitor and fleshed out more details, primarily the hands and ring box.

Old 05 May 2008   #12
Work In Progress: Panic - 2 days

Two Days?! Well, nothing motivates you quite like the last minute.

Old 05 May 2008   #13
Work In Progress: Final Lap...

I am much closer to my goal. This is how it is suppose to feel. The background is close to done, as is the foreground. A few things left to do.

Thoughts, suggestions, would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 05 May 2008   #14
Concept / pre-visualization: The Collage of Thought

Here are the reference images I worked from. All are from morguefile.com, or are me. :)

Old 05 May 2008   #15
Final Image: What does she see in him?

Marco, the chimp butler, pondered how he being of the 3rd generation (his great grandfather having been one of the first uplifted,) could be so easily confused by humans. He watched in curiosity as his mistress Jale opened her mouth in surprise at an engagement ring. He scratched his head.

Not because of flees, but because he never could understand these humans, especially their females: What does she see in him?

Thread Closed share thread