CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Uplift Universe - Image
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #31
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Sr. Art Director
Kabam
Oakland, USA

This looks gorgeous, Martin! Serene and poignant and alien and almost surreal at the same time. I don't think the planets are too much, but with them, you've already shown adequately that it's an alien world. You don't need the city. Not having the city lent more to the surrealness and the mystery of the piece, while having the city took some of that away.

One area that still could use some work is the beach. It's really smooth and is reflecting light like glass. If could use some waviness as the sand won't be ever. It could use some wet areas where other waves lapping up against the shore have dampened it. It could use a lot of footprints and other spots where their passage has kicked up the sand.

And lastly, this is just a little thing, and just opinion, but I think it would give the piece more flow if the front right wave curved inwards more to echo the rest of the curves in the water instead of straightening out and matching the straight lines of the shadows on the ground. What you have now is fine, I just think more curves would be stylistically more interesting without having anything other than subjective taste to back that one up!

Anyhow, great work, keep it coming!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #32
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to MartinNielsen
Work In Progress: WIP02

Just a small update. I removed the city and did some work on the characters.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

walrus: Thank you. You're always great at helping with a lot of useful feedback

The city is now removed and the moons are toned down a bit. I think this setup works.

Oh yes. The beach needs a rework pass, and I have already planned your good suggestions In the area where the waves comes in, the wet sand becomes a bit reflective. (I did some photo research on this).

I see your point. If I change it, I would bend it towards the shadow, so it continues the curve from the shore line.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 AM   #34
mdavid
Illustrator

portfolio
Mark David
illustrator
Australia

I'm loving how this image is turning out. The old-fashioned gramophone is perfect. The only point I would add involves a few small wet patches of sand near the edge of the water - to show where a previous wave came in and drained back - but I see from your comments that you are already thinking about that!

The mood of this image is wonderful

Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #35
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Sr. Art Director
Kabam
Oakland, USA

Martin - I'm glad my comments were useful! I have one more I forgot to add earlier: The main characters are backlit, so don't forget to add some nice rim lighting to them in appropriate places. You've already got some on him, but don't forget her hair (backlit hair tends to look a bit like a halo - find some good references and you'll see what I mean.)
Cheers!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #36
Ferx

portfolio
Fernando Porcel
Mexico City, Mexico

Send a message via MSN to Ferx
Hey Martin, really awesome work my friend, love the whole atmosphere on the image, ultra cool!! , one of my favorites for sure! great!!. I know you are working on the details, and particular on sand details The sand on a beach has two principal zones, the wet zone: more compact and bit reflective. The foot prints on that zone are well and sharp marked. The dry zone: more loose and bumpy, with more contrast cause the bumpy surface but not reflective, the foot prints are smooth. Ahh and dont forget the mix zone between the two principals ( But the most important area is where you put the cooler full of beers ).
I think the shadows need fade a bit with the distance, for a more realistc touch, more sharp close the cast objects and bit blur far the cast objects. Only some comments Again, superb work!! Cheers my friend!!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #37
medunecer
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Marco Fantechi
Illustrator-Designer
MeduNecer
Rome, Italy

Send a message via MSN to medunecer
Hey Martin! You have a very good image here! I like the colors and the composition. The city is good and it would be good to see better the central planet (framing the characters). The water is perfect!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #38
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

mdavid: Thanks for the feedback

walrus: Yes, you're right. I have some rim light on her left side, but it can be hard to spot in her face. I believe that there actually would be some rim light on her right side as well. Her hair and dress would have some translucency here.

Ferx: Thanks Yes, you're right about everything. The shadows at this time are only mirrored black versions of the characters and phonograph for concept use. I'll correct these together with the sand.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #39
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

medunecer: Woops! You're quick Just posted...

Thanks The city is gone for good. Did'nt like it that much. The central moon is maybe too dim now. I'll try something

Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #40
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

Work In Progress: WIP03

I did some more adjustments on the characters and phonograph, and I started doing some sand work.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #41
decosouza
Frequenter

portfolio
Andre de Souza
Rio%2Bde%2BJaneiro, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to decosouza
Wow... if this picture is a WIP I can't wait to see the final image. This my dear friend, is an amazing piece of work. Wish I could to make something like that. Gongrats for you talent!

André de SOuza

Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #42
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

decosouza: Many thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #43
HornlessUnicorn
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dimitrij Marufow
Interpreter / Hobby Artist
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Martin!

The water looks awesome! I'm not so sure about the dunes to the right. Maybe they're too high? I can't quite put my finger on it but something doesn't seem right about them. Maybe it's their angle in relation to the coast line? I don't know I loved the smotheness of the original beach. Nevertheless that's not a really big problem - great image!!

Cheers,

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #44
MartinNielsen
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Martin Nielsen
3d artist / Illustrator
Climax Games

HornlessUnicorn: I see your point. I wasn't sure about the dunes myself. The reason I put them there is, that I wanted some variation and texture. This way the shadows could look more interesting also. I didn't like that flat smooth surface, but I'll try flatten it.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #45
HornlessUnicorn
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dimitrij Marufow
Interpreter / Hobby Artist
Hamburg, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinNielsen
HornlessUnicorn: I see your point. I wasn't sure about the dunes myself. The reason I put them there is, that I wanted some variation and texture. This way the shadows could look more interesting also. I didn't like that flat smooth surface, but I'll try flatten it.

Martin! I think I know what the problem is - they're too "pointy", they look a bit like pyramids. Maybe you should try to give them a more "serpentine" i.e. "wavy" look and flatten them somehow. The best way would be to check some pictures of dunes on a beach.

All the best,

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Thread Closed share thread