Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Ryan Love

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #16
Hey raul, thanks a bunch for the comment, some great ideas in there. I think i'll definatly look at some Inca or Mayan masks for inspiration for his helmet. Also, I'll play with the posing of the big guy a bit more, maybe i can find something more dramatic or with a bit more feeling. Btw, I love the idea of ancient aliens on earth. Its a topic i've read alot about . Thanks again for the nice words and everyone else who has commented!
I worked a bit on the big guys clothing today. Im going for a kilt type design with some pouches and stash spots. I'm still thinking about his jewelry, probably a couple necklaces, some percings and a bracer, we'll see. Updates as soon as i get this nasty sore throat cleared up.

cheers!
-love

Old 04 April 2008   #17
Work In Progress: kilt

Got some of the clothing base meshes done and a few other details.

-love

Last edited by Fetus23 : 04 April 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Old 04 April 2008   #18
Work In Progress: some more

Added a few more modeled details in this one. Also started render and lighting tests for the final shot. I'm starting to think about a simple background, maybe a forest or cave entrance.

-love

Old 04 April 2008   #19
Cool modelling! the alien look awesome!

Old 04 April 2008   #20
WOW! Nice work here! Clean render too!

You said on my thread you had trouble with the displacement and went to normal instead. I'll be honest and say it really looks good!

What applications are you using for this?

Mark

Old 04 April 2008   #21
Man... great work! The big alien is very well done. I think should be a human in the scene.. bacause of competition's rules to make an interection of aleins and humans . Congrats mate!!!

Old 04 April 2008   #22
nice work man! very interesting concept too, not sure I understand it but that's probably part of why I like it. Look forward to the final image! Giver!

Old 04 April 2008   #23
Thumbs up

This is really nice modeling. I take it he is a uplifted gorilla very nice.

Old 04 April 2008   #24
Hi Ryan, I've been meaning to comment earlier. Sorry about that. The rendering of the work is nice. Maybe you would like to add a sense of gravity to the way the big alien is holding the smaller alien? When carrying a heavy object, the muscles will get tense, the biceps expanded from the lifting, the body will lean a bit to its left side because the centre of gravity has changed with the combined weight and form. Also try having the alien carry the victim on both of its palm, so that it can give a clear expression of being concern.

Another important thing to note is the role of human in this work. I suppose that the human is inside the victim's armor, but it is not obvious at all and could be other aliens too. Are you going to give the victim a proper human identity?

All the best!

Old 04 April 2008   #25
That's a really power_loaded imagery!
groovy, in other words!

Old 04 April 2008   #26
Wow, this image really creeps me out in a good way. When my brother was 3 he found a dead rabbit and carried it's limp body up to me in the same manner. Total flash back moment for me. The modelling and texturing look great. My only suggestion would be to tilt the head of the dead body further back.

Old 04 April 2008   #27
Work In Progress: flat

Thank you all for the kind words!

pegaoul Ė thanks, glad you like him so far.

dustbin1uk - hey dustin, thanks for the kind words. For this project I'm using Max to model all the base meshes, Zbrush to sculpt highpoly details and Maya for the final setup and rendering. I will explain more on my process when I have some time.

decosouza- thank you, actually there is a human in the scene :), if you look closely the hurt/dead/faking guy is actually a human in a suit. I agree though that this isn't as clear as it could be. I have an idea for my final image that may tie it together.

BRUTICUS-thanks man, I'm ready, are you?

Abronxl- uplifted gorilla? maybe :), can you see the baboon on the top of his head? ;) thanks for the words.

jeromoo- thanks for the critic man, I agree with pretty much everything you've said,my latest render here shows me I still have muscle form to develop on the big guy. The pose is a tricky one, I initially tried a 2 handed pose but found the human was far too small to fit that way, I could have scaled him up but I want their size different to be large.
I'm still tweaking it so I'll try to add more weight to the one I've settled on. His shoulder could also be tilted a bit more to show the weight of the human. The feet need more planting too. Thanks again for the words!

varma- thanks! I've tried to make something with some feeling, I'm glad itís translating for you.

Jay-Mo- haha creeepy man!! Thatís a great image to use as inspiration.

I've added a bunch more small details in this latest render. I went for a flat b/w render to see all my mistakes and areas that need improving one last time before I jump into texturing full steam. I finally had a vision for my final scene, I think there will be many humans hiding in places in the background watching this scene unfold. Is it a trap? bait? The humans are dressed for battle in suits that resemble the mortal enemies of the Baboon race (big guys). Baboon man finds this human in the suit laying in the path.
He knows the humans have allied with....THEM! More to come on that.

-love

Old 04 April 2008   #28
Great Zbrush work and Idea!

You can feel sadness when looking at his expression ... also the hanging and lifeless arms
add much to this feeling. It's somehow cute and sad together. Very Good i like that much!

-
time is passing by...

Old 04 April 2008   #29
Work In Progress: screen grabs

Thanks for the nice words ChrRambow!
Some small changes and details added. Here's a bunch of different angles, no renders this time, just screengrabs from the Maya viewport.

-love

Old 04 April 2008   #30
Hey Ryan,

Exceptional modeling skills. I love your concept.I think the humans head could be hanging a little lower, and tilted back to make him a little more limp.As for the big guy, looking at his physical stature I think the human ways about 3lbs to him. To make a long story short, the distribution of weight looks fine.The pose simply shows his strength.Hurry up and finish so you can help me with mineLOL. Fantastic work.
Brad

Brads Uplift Thread

Thread Closed share thread