Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Tobias Berge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Tobias Berge

Tobias Berge is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: final image and story

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Mindseeker

Hey all,

im a bit late with all the stuff, but its still time... :)

Ok i started with an alien, that is similar to an tropical animal a bit froglike.

I think an alien has to be bigger than humans, cuz it has to symbolizes an predominance. So i did it nearly 4-5 meters high.

Ive done alot searches for inspiration in the net, like you did i guess. ;)

Also ive a strong direction to the aliens of the movie "Artificial Intelligence" from spielberg.

These are really only rough thoughts, about the different ways it could probably go, but the overall direction is clear. So i need some help from you... what do you like and what not... just give me feedback and maybe some other ideas.

A little bit about the aliens abilities:

Its called mindseeker and looks for your nicest or even worsest dreams in your brain. It has these hairlike wires at the end of its fingers an goes through the head.
While it keeps you with its arms (still thinking about the realization), the head comes down to let you see your dreams and pictures u had in your life in these big monitor. It has lights around these to make it like an interrogation.

The alien has no weapons, but an strong magnetical field, that goes from the monitor, so you cant hurt it with metallic ammunation.

Ok things keep me busy...

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: vocabular :)

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Mindseeker

Well, trying to find an overall composition. Im still open for everything, so lets see how i end up with the final scatch.

Im going to do some more, so maybe i find another good one.

For your info:

I want to capture a scene, that explains the aliens abilities and do the picture a bit scary. The viewer has to know these aliens are not very friendly, so you look into the monitor and see what the soldiers on the battlefield do/did.

My main focus will be the picture in these frontal big monitor. Still thinking about the motive.

Its an exterior war scene, but im also looking for an perspectival interior, that works.

stay tuned... :)

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 01:26 PM.

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Mindseeker

Still looking for more compositions...

One and two keeping only the thought to work with the alien in the foreground. The others are about the real environment composition.

The third scatch i was thinking about an base. Soldiers are walking out of it. There are also some tanks moving out and flying vehicles on the main platform at the upper left.

The fourth is an base, that has only some depots of soldiers around it to defend those.

Favourite is of course the third atm... it has a nice fore and background. If i take this one i will try to support the midground better as now.

I change the format to horizontal to get more information about the overall scenario, so whats exactly going on there.

(im sorry, that im not going to do something that is more similar to the novels of David Brin. Ive really never read some of his books. Sure there are good inspiration and info about it, but i had an fast idea in my mind of an real unique alien, so this is the reason im going to do an own alien race.)

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: again vocabular :)

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: composition03

Still looking for an final composition. The scene captures the alien, that is absorbing the humans mind.

Very loose and the scene changed into more interior.

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: workinprogress

some more shapes to define the environment... lets see what happen if i play a bit with color ;)

also i gave the horizontal line an angle to get an more uncontrolled feeling for the viewer. The situation has to be dramatic as possible.

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 06:48 PM.

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: workinprogress

Heres the colored composition i want to go with. An strong warm color set into an cool.

I lost some details from my prev one, but i think to come back into it in the next steps.

The only one im worry about is the midground. Still thinking, how im going to support this.

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 04:54 PM.

04 April 2008
Ops double post... ;)

Going to detail it out.

Last edited by Sachiel22 : 04 April 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Ops double post... ;)

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: finding shapes...

Doing some details here and there. Im very open in my progress, so lets see what the drawing will go through. ;)

Im detailing the background at the right as next and also try to find some more interesting shapes.

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: some refines/details

Well, its all about detailing now.

04 April 2008
i like it alot... though i think color contrast between red and blue is to heavy.. background buildings could use some more distant feeling colors and there should be some red bounce light on the dark blueish building... composition is very nice
Alex Broeckel

see my online portfolio

STEAMPUNK Challenge: Octo

04 April 2008
Thanks!

Originally Posted by RayBender: i like it alot... though i think color contrast between red and blue is to heavy.. background buildings could use some more distant feeling colors and there should be some red bounce light on the dark blueish building... composition is very nice

Thanks ray,

i detailed it in the distance hope your eyes jump a bit more into it now. Im also looking for some shapes i can use to get these effect much stronger...

04 April 2008
Beautiful work so far! I like the palette, and the scene is interesting. I find it really hard to read the alien, as he (and the human) are the same color as the area behind them. Perhaps you can bring some more of those oranges in the bakcround more to the center sto silhouette the characters more? Or add a contrasting light off-screen to the left in the foreground plane? Or maybe you just want the alien to be a mysterious shadow-lurker! (Even so, he's a bit hard to read.) Good luck!

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by walrus: Beautiful work so far! I like the palette, and the scene is interesting. I find it really hard to read the alien, as he (and the human) are the same color as the area behind them. Perhaps you can bring some more of those oranges in the bakcround more to the center sto silhouette the characters more? Or add a contrasting light off-screen to the left in the foreground plane? Or maybe you just want the alien to be a mysterious shadow-lurker! (Even so, he's a bit hard to read.) Good luck!

Thanks walrus,

your right the alien has the same color as the background. I thought to do it like a liquid (ya maybe like a shadow-lurker), so it mirrows the background, but if it doesnt work for any reason i think to recolor it. Ok, im going to refine the alien, so it gets an clear silhouette that works... thanks again!

04 April 2008
YOu could also try to add a 3rd lightsource coming onto the alien. I think you can also push the design of the alien further. I am not digging the tube neck. I feel that it should have a bit more structure to it. I dig the colors and the composition. Good luck with your entry. I will keep an eye on this one for sure.

Thread Closed share thread