Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Another version of the alien

Hey, all. Thanks for the notes and hellos.

Marley - Being able to hold 4 candles isn't their only racial advantage. They can also reach things off the top shelf a lot easier than we can! Oh, that and the fact that they've had star flight for about 2 and a half million years longer than we have. As for how long I've been Illustrating, guess it depends on what you mean by that. I've been a professional for almost 20 years now, but never a full-time illustrator. I've been drawing a lot longer than that.

Jassar - No. I'll do all the characters I need to do to tell the story I'm trying to tell. It's not right to trim characters just to make things easier or faster for myself, I'll paint what I need to in the time that I have.

Jerome - They're celebrating some holiday or such for the race. Just like a religious even here on Earth, perhaps, only different. As for the candles, I don't want to make them so weird that a viewer doesn't recognize what they are. But I'm still designing everything, and I'm open to suggestions...?

Anyhow, here's another pass at the alien. Is it better, or just different? Any preferences out there? (Oh, and I redrew the bottom human's feet after doing some reference sketches of my own feet int eh mirror. These feel more accurate now.)

Last edited by walrus : 04 April 2008 at 06:10 AM.

04 April 2008
Hey Mike, great to see you in the challenge! I love your concept, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Matt

04 April 2008
haha this looks like it's going to be fun. I look forward to seeing this progress.

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: More layout and more final alien

Here's a layout further along, with a more finalized alien design and concept for the aliens' ceremonial robes (and how they don't fit on humans.)

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Detail of aliens in the background

...And here's a detail image from the background. Still needs work, especially the human woman's legs, but it's a start.

04 April 2008
Hi Walrus,

I love the way you have to draw characters, your lines are so effectives to describe round and generous shapes. Always the point of humour I very like. Good luck for this edition 2008.

04 April 2008
Just stopping by to subscribe - love it so far!

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Redrawing the human woman

Thanks, Karyn. Here's a redraw of the human woman. Hope you like it better!

(Nyrak told me seperately from here that the woman's previous pose looked like a dancer because her toes were so pointed. My wife said the same exact thing! So this is a second pass at the human woman. I'm not sure that's the hair-style I want from her, but I'm moving so fast to get this done, it might not be important enough to bother redoing: Save my time for important things!)

04 April 2008
This is a genuinely funny image. Really nice idea, Mike.

I've been studying your updates (you've been very helpful to me and I hoped I could return the favour with an observation or two) but can't really offer much at all in the way of crits. The only thought I had is to do with the feet of the aliens. If they are used to walking around on their hind legs like that then I might expect the feet/toes to be broader and flattened out a bit to take their weight - at the moment they look a bit uncomfortable standing on the tips of their toes

04 April 2008
Wink

lol funny idea mate ....... for me I think the hair is ok keep going waiting for more updates

04 April 2008
haha, nice idea man . cultural interaction is what we need !

04 April 2008
Hi Mike, Looking at your new sketches of the background characters... the alien couple carrying the human female, I wonder how does that fit into the whole candlelight ceremony. My first impression is that they are trying to adopt a human pet. Are you planning to depict the different lifestyles between human and aliens here?

04 April 2008
Jerome - I'd describe it a little like the way some Westerners - particularly blonde ones - get treated in the far East. A blonde college friend who has lived in Japan for a number of years has decribed absolute strangers walking up to her, examining her hair, etcetera. I have experienced it myself when traveling in India: Total strangers want to get their photos taken with me, presumably just because I'm different looking, or novel, or something. In this case, the couple is thoroughly taken by how adorable us little humans are. They just cant resist picking one up to look at the cute widdle human... much in the same way I can't help picking up my own one-year old son 'cause he's so adorable. I get the feeling that the human in this picture gets this a lot and is a bit tired of it.

But you're absolutely right, this doesn't fit into the ceremony at all. I've realized that I've given this p[articular interaction way too much prominence and it takes away from the gist of the picture as a whole. Expect a lot more aliens holding candles and for this little vignette to be much smaller and much further in the background. Thanks for the feedback!

04 April 2008
Great idea, I love your style. I'm excited to watch your progress. I do agree that the interaction with the woman should be less prominant. I'm interested to see how you handle that. Loved your DWIII entry.

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: A new direction

After working on this idea for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it's not exactly working. As others have pointed out, there needs to be more ceremony to get the main joke. Which means painting a lot more serious aliens just to make one joke stick. Serious aliens? Where's the fun in that?!? Especially if you only get one mediocre joke out of it.

However, the other vignette that I was working on - the one that didn't fit in the candle-lighting ceremony - is funny all by itself and lends itself to some other funny incidents. So here's the new direction, launching off from that point. I'll need to make some changes: Without the candles, there's no longer any need for four arms. (The aliens on the left still have 4, I'll edit them out later.)

So here it is (and I'll post another variant on the layout in a sec.) What do you think?

Thread Closed share thread