Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Michael Dashow

Michael Dashow is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Adorable Alien

04 April 2008
Concept / pre-visualization: Candle-lighting ceremony

Hi, all! Well, here I am. Given that I was the first person to realize that this would be the David Brin Uplift Challenge, you'd think I'd have been on the scene earlier, eh? But they overbooked the Challenges and started this while the Dominance War III contest was going on, and so I had to finish that challenge first. But that's all done, so here I am.

My image is going to be about an alien ceremony. When you're a wolfling clan like the Humans, you'll spring for recognition from any alien clan you can find in hopes of making new allies. So here we find the humans formally invited to take part in a ceremony on the homeworld of some really tall species with four arms. To adequately take part in the event, holding four candles and wearing the proper respectful robes, a bit of improvisation was necessary...

This is still rough. I like the humans - or at least most of them except for the feet! - but haven't thought much about their uniforms yet. The aliens I will undoubtably completely redesign, but no matter what, they'll be tall and have four arms. Anyhow, see what you think.

04 April 2008
a prerequisite of these candle ceremonies is having four arms to hold not 2 but 4 candles :? YEAAA!! millions of years of evolution lead to this unatural advantage over humans...HAH.

interesting narrative, already mike, seems like some poor two armed souls are being accousted up the back there..could it be the poor performance of their representatives?.

Well after the incredible effort for DW the third, i can't believe your here so soon..

good on you mike..

(out of interest, how long have you been illustrating for now, mike?)

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

04 April 2008
Very cool concept idea! Judging by your previous work I'm sure this will be grand!

Good luck and all the best!

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008
hi Mike, I was not sure if you were going to enter this one. Awesome concept and glad to see you in

04 April 2008
haha, there you are already, huh? Lucky bastard, I still need to finish my DW3 :P
Nice and lively sketching as always, dude!
You are all resolved about your idea already it seems which is great!

04 April 2008
Goodluck with the challenge Michael.

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

04 April 2008
Hey, look who's here!

Really really glad to see you in, Mike. Great idea, I'm definitely suscribed.

04 April 2008
He's in! I can see another superb illustration on its way. Good luck Mike

04 April 2008
The idea is simply crazy and funny , but are you not afraid of doing all those characters!

Cheers and good luck

04 April 2008
Welcome to the challenge. This is for sure a thread I will follow.

Good luck with your entry.

Torsten

04 April 2008
Very amusing concept I loved your 'Strange Behavior' entry so I look forward to how this develops.

04 April 2008
i like the cartooned style of your sketch! cant wait to see how this develops

04 April 2008
Welcome back Micheal. I like the idea. I am going to enjoy watching your process again. I'll be waiting for the next update.

04 April 2008
Hi Mike The Walrus! Long time no see! You do work very fast! I went to look at your DW3 entry and its really nice.

May i ask what the candlelight ceremony is about? Oh, if those aliens practised the custom, shouldn't they be using a special alien candle, ones that don't look too humanised.

I'll be waiting to see further developments of your concepts! All the best and have fun!

Thread Closed share thread