Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Alexi Chabane

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Alexi Chabane

Alexi Chabane is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: final image

Old 03 March 2008   #2
Concept / pre-visualization: layout sketch

Iím back for another challenge! I didnít quite finish the journey begins and I skipped the last couple all together, but Iím determined to finish this time. I've never done a fully finished and polished digital painting, and I figure this is the perfect time to start (and having a deadline means I'll be more likely to finish the piece!). My Idea for the contest is scene with "space hobos" camping around a fire. I thought this would be a good opportunity to show a diverse group with an interesting variety of clothing, gear and foods. I also think the campfire will be a great light source, and provide a centre of interest in the centre of the composition. In the background there will be a space-port with all types of flying ships so itís clear that this is a futurist scene. I'm still planning out the groupings and expressions on the characters. I'd like keep the scene interesting by telling little stories and insert a few jokes. My main idea for a back story is that they crash landed, and now they have to get to the distant city on foot. Perhaps theyíre arguing over whoís fault it is or how they will get there. Iíll post some more detailed sketches of the characters soon. Alexi

Old 03 March 2008   #3
Concept / pre-visualization: character sketches (part 1)

Here is the first of the detailed character drawings. The costumes are fairly generic because Iím more interested the gestures and expressions of the characters at this point. I may have them all in the same uniforms to show that they are all from the same crew. (If I go with the idea that they crash landed). Or I may stick to the idea that they are simply a collection of space hobos, sharing some hobo stew. I could throw in some space bindles and space boots with holes in them for added humor. Alexi.

Old 03 March 2008   #4
Good idea.

I really like this idea. It seems like a scene at night to me. What are your thoughts on time of day? If they're boozing it up, it might be funny to add in some guy that's sick or something...dazed eyes and a little bit of puke running down his chin. Just a thought.

Old 03 March 2008   #5
Concept / pre-visualization: background city

Here is a rough idea for the city in the background. I wanted it to seem like they where next to a freeway so I added the long line of spaceships flying past the characters. These also help to show the vast scale of the city.

Old 03 March 2008   #6
Concept / pre-visualization: character sketches (part 2)

These are some more detailed character studies. I was initailly thinking of them as a family group, but I may change the design of the foreground character to give the group more diversity.

Old 03 March 2008   #7
cool!
i like it!

Website.

Old 03 March 2008   #8
You're emotional expressions are brilliant. The interaction shows very well, and your character skill is very strong ( I think ), -I dig your line style!

Old 03 March 2008   #9
Talking

I love your alein designs, gives a sense of attachement; family(emotional), i likes... keep it up

Old 03 March 2008   #10
I like your drawing style -

Quick and loose, with interesting characterization.
Especially the one with the spaceships in the air. Good dynamic feeling to that. Nice off axis tilt. Looking forward to seeing more.

Old 03 March 2008   #11
Concept / pre-visualization: human characters

Here are a couple sketches of the human characters in the group. I'm going to keep them in a cartoony style becasue I think it can be much more expressive. Next I'll combine all of my detailed character drawings into one image and work on the composition. One that is done I can finalize the designs and get painting as soon as possible.

Old 03 March 2008   #12
These are wonderful character sketches...imbued with nice lines and a lot of personality. I'm always jealous of prolific sketchers. I would only benefit from doing more pre-vis work, but I feel sort of keenly aware of the deadline this time around, and have had to dive right in (3d entry). Im afraid it will show in my entry.

I look forward to seeing your painting, its off to a great start!

Old 03 March 2008   #13
really nice sketches Alexi

Ze Blog

Steampunk
Uplift Universe
Strange Behavior

Old 03 March 2008   #14
Concept / pre-visualization: character composition

This is a composite of all the character sketches I've done so far. I added a fire with a few pots and various alien food and ingredients. I figured this would be a good opportunity to add some interesting details, and show a mixing of human and alien cultures. I'm doing more sketches for the alien heads in hopes of finding some more unique designs. I'll post those soon.

Old 03 March 2008   #15
i like the composite and the characters looks great !!

Thread Closed share thread