Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Andrew Alexandris

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2008   #16
Thanks for your suggestion, and good luck with your challenge. I will keep an eye on your progress

Old 04 April 2008   #17
I like the ship from this angle. Thats some toxic-looking smog you got going on there.. eh where's my gas mask!

Old 04 April 2008   #18
Heheh, the trouble with having an audience is that they might nag you..

I'm dead curious! ^_^

Old 04 April 2008   #19
Work In Progress: Final composition

Final placement. Will adjust a tad here and there as the colors are added. Had the sky just about finished but saved in jpg and lost all the detail, so gave me a chance to rethink and redo. I am a sucker for dramatic lighting so changed the sky from a cool blue to a more red.

Old 04 April 2008   #20
Sorry for the delayed response. You're very welcome Pearlyking. Glad my 2 cents was somehow helpful. I'm watchin' yours also. - Butterpaw, it's ok. Just got screwed up with saving my work to a 'lossy' format by mistake. It gave me a chance to rethink the whole picture though (and fight with doubt some more, lol). That, and my computer really struggling with these large files is making this more work than play, but, dat's life :-) Anyway... hope you folks like the color I'm goin with.

Old 04 April 2008   #21
This is good.. you've got the sense of expanse you were going for.. I like it better tahn any previous - sometimes mistakes give us a chance to think again... ^_^

Old 04 April 2008   #22
Hey Andrew, really interesting approach to the concept. I think this will be an a great image, great! For sure looking forward for more updates on your concept. Cheers mate!!

Old 04 April 2008   #23
I am really looking forward to further developments with this .. 3D or 2D it is the artists vision which is the most important element imho, and that, I really like to see. I like the change in composition which gives the impression of a much greater expanse of land/world, while maintaining the tight focus.. and .. I am intrigued by the alien's details which are now beginning to emerge.

Old 04 April 2008   #24
Work In Progress: WIP - Original comp 1

I have struggled so hard to work against my first instinct, that I ran out of spirit for this pic. Times up; I am now entering the pic as my eye had first envisioned it, for better or for worse. The only problem: other than basic shapes, I now have to start from the beginning with limited time to finish it.

Old 04 April 2008   #25
Thumbs up

Hey Drew! You've invested quite a lot of thought and effort. I hope you get it done - you still have enough time. The sky looks very good (the colour version).

Keep it up, mate

Cheers,

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Old 04 April 2008   #26
Hmm, an interesting turn of events ... daring, really, to change so radically at this point...

You now have a lot of space available! ^_^

I look forward to seeing where you take this... but I am very curious - what precisely did not satisfy you about about the vertical layout?

Old 04 April 2008   #27
I like the new post the composition has more of a classic feel to it. I really hope you get done in time Drew I think you definately have something to work with

Old 04 April 2008   #28
Work In Progress: WIP - Vertical 1F

Have blocked in all main areas. The worst thing I could do is not finish this, so have redecided lol to go with vertical format, since this is the closest to finished image that I have.

Old 04 April 2008   #29
Thanx for the support folks. Also, thanx Pearlyking... I had thought this idea up using the horizontal format but man, my biggest let down would be to not finish this piece in time. I'm not goin to quit, but the technique IS a bit different than oils, which I am used to. I'm goin batty between remembering to save each step, and learning the new tools and techniques of 'painting' with pixels. - Am now struggling with what to do with the bottom part of the pic. Though some would say that letting the terrain run out of frame like this isn't good composition, I really want to show the wasteland we've/they (ie humans of future earth) created, since it'll be lost in the distance by the ground clouds. Any ideas? Should I leave it as is? Should I add one more building towards the left? I originally had thought of the edge of a rooftop, lined with cheering people (the outcrops on left will be full of cheering people) along the whole horizontal bottom edge. Any input?

Last edited by Dragneye : 04 April 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added comment

Old 05 May 2008   #30
Work In Progress: WIP - Outline complete

Alrighty then... the outline is all ready... except the color and most details. Whatta ya think? Can I finish in time? Aha hahahaha... (he saunters away with a madman's laugh and fire in his eyes)

Thread Closed share thread