Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Andrew Alexandris

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Andrew Alexandris

Andrew Alexandris is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: FINAL- AS FROM BELOW, SO FROM ABOVE

Old 03 March 2008   #2
Concept / pre-visualization: UPLIFT Challenge Entry

First, good luck to all who enter :-) - "In the future, when we have desolated our planet, and moved on into space, we have found many alien races. One of them has come to lend a helping hand. We stand and cheer, as our leader places his hand on the shoulder of the alien commander who is showing us what they can do. Humbled... and with immense gratitude, the people stare at the life rejuvenating beam" - The core concept will remain the same; but will flesh this scene out more to see how I can incorporate the app that Softimage has so kindly offered. Only as of last year have I started moving pixels around so this all is quite new to me; entering a prestigious contest, working with a Wacom pad instead of mouse, using 3D to create... man, this will be some ride. I see the whole picture in my head already; but execution will be interesting trip to say the least. So... Lets RIDE!
PS: ANY input, any guidance will be greatly appreciated :-)

Last edited by Dragneye : 03 March 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #3
spaceship ideas 1

Will be going with insect theme for aliens, figuring it's more logical to have more insectoid forms than human in the universe. Wanted to somehow incorporate my favorite (yin/yang) but that's too earthly, so chose the 'infinity' symbol for the spaceship designs. The 'worker ship' will have a hard outer shell, to protect against atmospheres and the like, since the mothership never gets too close to any planet, for safety. - The worker ship retracts its outer shell in the front to expose the mechanisms protected within. Also will have the alien commander glowing, sort of the 'enlightened' concept. For now, this is what I have

Last edited by Dragneye : 03 March 2008 at 02:01 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #4
UPDATE Previz COMPOSITION and alien

[img]http://[/img]
Using a 3D app to figure out the placement, this will probably be the composition I'll be going with, and this is just about what the alien will look like, less a few details

Last edited by Dragneye : 03 March 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add pics/explanation

Old 03 March 2008   #5
Concept / pre-visualization: UPLIFT - Previz 1 Alien

This is the basic shape of the alien, less details

Old 03 March 2008   #6
Work In Progress: UPLIFT - WIP - Spaceship

Starting form of the spaceship - The detailing I have in mind will be lost in the final render, so will see how it goes. I tend to try to keep the designs 'feasible' - for example, if traveling through parsecs and parsecs of space, all that piping, and small external parts would not only get beat up over time, they could very well get destroyed. An advanced 'bug' species, would stick to their normal designs, ie: a hard outer shell protecting the fragile insides. I know it's more visually appealing to add a lot of gizmos to the shell of the ship, might even hurt my chances with this challenge, but I have to keep it as 'pure' to my eye as possible

Last edited by Dragneye : 03 March 2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added text

Old 03 March 2008   #7
Sorry abt the double pic posts; still gettin' the swing of this.
I have avoided looking around here much until I had finalized my vision. Trying to keep a pure creative mind. So now, let's see what your eyes have created. Good Luck all.

Old 04 April 2008   #8
The slug-like alien is about as far as you can get from humans and still be something more organic than a blue cloud ...

I must say I do like the insectoid design of the ship. Might the leg-like projections pointing toward the back be propulsion units of some sort? The present popular style of greebled surfaces for space ships is certainly not the only way to go.. I wonder if these beings might have added any sort of outer colorations or patterns of lights as .. identifiers?

Wonder what software you are using for the 3d modeling - that screen looks vaguely familiar

I look forward to developments..

Old 04 April 2008   #9
Work In Progress: WIP - Composition outline

The more I tweak the composition, the farther I get from the original vision. This is what I am goin' with, unless you all can throw me some input. It Would be appreciated :-)

Old 04 April 2008   #10
Hi ya Butterpaw - Thanx for commenting. The idea really came from the phrase "the meek will inherit the earth". We have an aversion to bugs and routinely try to stomp them out, but what if they became smarter than us, and instead of acting like we do, um, what, macho (?), they just stuck to basics, and just helped us fix the planet we've destroyed? - Anyway, just trying a different concept than the normal alien kills human and vice versa. As for propulsion, I figure space faring BUGS, would have come up with something more creative than what we have so far. I'm using trueSpace for the modelling. The model has become much more complex than what you see above, but it will be lost in the final picture. Was hoping to do this whole scene in a 3D render using XSI, but with my time restraints, I'll just have to go with a 2D pic and hope for the best. Maybe will work on the models after I finish the entry.

Old 04 April 2008   #11
I like to think of a postive alien human interaction.. get a little tired of all the "kill the aliens or be killed" movies .. nice to see more positivly creative imaginings..

The composition seems much stronger now than your first one .. I'm really looking foreward to seeing this come to life.

I use trueSpace also .. but am very new at it.. didn't know that I would enjoy 3d modeling so much! ^_^

Old 04 April 2008   #12
THAT's where I know ya from. How are ya?! :-) - As for the composition, thanx. I feel that it centers the focal point of the interaction, which in my eye is twofold; the alien commander with the human leader, and my main point (in my eye anyway), the alien ship helping earth and its inhabitants. Hope it works. I've been staring at it and movin it around so much, I've gone bleery-eyed, so now I move on to get some color down, and keep the process moving

Old 04 April 2008   #13
hmmm .. not ready for that color yet? ^_^

and, yeah.. that's where from - Oh! and have an especially wonderful day today!

Old 04 April 2008   #14
Work In Progress: Uplift - WIP_Sky

Started blocking in the sky and ship

Old 04 April 2008   #15
Here's some color :-) Have been debating back and forth between my original composition (horizontal) and the vertical, which I had decided was more focused on the point of the pic (the actual interaction), and I had developed the vertical more, so since I have limiteed time, I made a decision, and hope that not going with my first choice will work in the end. This will probably be one of the last 2D works I develop fully, as I am dying to get back to 3D (I am working on the models on the side, but want to make sure I get to finish this as a complete art piece in time)

Thread Closed share thread