Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Mark David

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #46
Thumbs up

I think you'll find wally at the bar having a klingon rachtecheno/sp? never could spell that.

but gaea has a point that your illustrations also take me right back to my youth with the wheres wally books etc.

Great work..

Love the sad lookin 'flower' alien

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 03 March 2008   #47
Wow, I really love the style.

Torsten

Old 03 March 2008   #48
Thumbs up thanx

tnx dud i will do my best

Old 03 March 2008   #49
Looking good! I can't wait for it to be finished so that I can spend hours looking at all the little aliens.

Old 03 March 2008   #50
GaeasHerald
Hey thank you. I really appreciate those kind words

LightSovereign
Thanks Marley. Yeah, I'm sure the bar there is very well known to Klingons. Maybe that's what I should call this image: 'Where's Worf?'

Russel-Nash
Thanks Torsten

javedboxxer

Nekomouse
Thank you. The plan is for the background to be fairly uniformly coloured so the aliens will stand out clearly against it. In the post after this one I'll be showing the beginning of the colouring

Old 03 March 2008   #51
Work In Progress: Starting the colouring

I'm about to colour the background setting and I thought I'd show the colours. I'll be using a fairly uniform colour scheme which should hopefully let the aliens (and humans) show up easily

Old 03 March 2008   #52
Work In Progress: close-up view

... and here's a closer view. This is at about 30% resolution

- Mark

Old 03 March 2008   #53
Looking good, Mark.
That zoom in is only 30%, how big is the canvas size, and doesn't your PC cringe at working so big???

Last edited by Nekomouse : 03 March 2008 at 07:40 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #54
Thumbs up

this is so far out!! way out man!! so much personality and detail, love the alien designs a lot! this challenge really is bringing out more of your creative talent and humour .. in short .. the best! can't wait to see your work in all its splendour!
good luck bro!

Old 03 March 2008   #55
Charming environment - could I have a flat in the top floor, please?
Are you still working on paper or have you brought it into the PC yet? It looks so, but the jaggedy lines gives it a nice handdrawn look, cool.

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 03 March 2008   #56
Nekomouse
Originally Posted by Nekomouse: That zoom in is only 30%, how big is the canvas size, and doesn't your PC cringe at working so big???
Yeah I am working on a pretty big file. Canvas size is 7635 x 5580 pixels! But it doesn't slow down my computer because I keep my layers on separate files and flatten as soon as is practical.

I know that's a big size to work in but there are few reasons why I've cranked things up to that scale:

1 - the large size suits the way I like to draw on my tablet
2 - the high resolution helps me with things like colouring (I can select an area that encroaches underneath the black outlines)
3 - and it means that when I've finished I'll be able to get the image printed on a large sheet of photographic paper to stick on my wall!

nwiz25
Hey thanks buddy. That is really nice of you

Gunilla
Thanks buddy. Yep, I'll reserve one of the top-floor flats for you - you'll find it has excellent sweeping views of the purple forests.
Originally Posted by Gunilla: Are you still working on paper or have you brought it into the PC yet? It looks so, but the jaggedy lines gives it a nice handdrawn look, cool
This is all done in the computer now. The original sketch was on paper but now I've traced the linework in Photoshop and the colouring is 100% Photoshop too. I actually had to trace it in Photoshop twice because the first time the lines appeared too smooth, when I wanted a rougher, more-wobbly look

- Mark

Old 03 March 2008   #57
That's perfectly, wonderfully crazy. Can't wait to see it populated.

Old 03 March 2008   #58
Originally Posted by mdavid:
3 - and it means that when I've finished I'll be able to get the image printed on a large sheet of photographic paper to stick on my wall!

- Mark

I hereby order one for my wall, too. Oh, and you could also do a bed-cover. Kids would love it.

Torsten

Old 03 March 2008   #59
Great progress Mark, i realy like the style you've chosen for your image.

Old 03 March 2008   #60
Thanks guys for the nice comments. Progress is a bit slow at the moment but I'll post an update to give an idea of where it's heading ...

Thread Closed share thread