Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Bronwen Wheeler

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Bronwen Wheeler

Bronwen Wheeler is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Work In Progress: Colour Flats

Old 03 March 2008   #2
Concept / pre-visualization: Alien Relations 101

Being a teacher, I thought that a classroom scene would be a cool idea for the theme 'alien relations'. I used a reference photo of my own teaching, and here is the concept sketch. I'm not very strong with perspective, so if anyone can see any errors please feel free to do a draw over and point them out. Thanks!

Old 03 March 2008   #3
So many colours!!

So, I'm not so hot with colours, especially choosing a colour palette. I have a horrible habit of just picking colours from the colour wheel and then painting with darker and lighter versions without really paying attention to how they work together. This time I've decided to try and actually work out a custom palette before I start painting and would appreciate any advice people could give.

I've come up with 5 different colour schemes. I'm looking for a palette that's playful but not candycane bright, so I've kept to desaturated colours. Personally I'm fond of No. 1 and No. 3; but what do you guys think?

Does anyone have any advice on choosing colours for a painting?

Old 03 March 2008   #4
Work In Progress: Tonal Values

Okay, so I decided to go with the brownish base which will hopefully give a warm tone to the image which I can contrast with the metal of the desks and chairs. Lets see how it works out.

Old 03 March 2008   #5
best of luck, I like your concept

Old 03 March 2008   #6
the number 1 colour looks better. nice line art too. about the perspective you mentioned, yes the floor looks a little bit its going upwards and slanted. i will check this on photoshop later on.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Old 03 March 2008   #7

compare the line on the floor.

Hollow Earth

If you can follow the Lochness Monster with a submersible, it can lead you to a doorway to the Hollow Earth.

Old 03 March 2008   #8
i3abden -> Thanks for dropping by and good luck to you too!

thepineman -> Thanks for checking out that perspective for me. I can see what you mean with the lines. I'll clean them up on my next go at it; though, I might just get rid of them all together to free up the space a little?

Old 03 March 2008   #9
Hi, Bronwen!

You're off to a running start, lovely idea!
But for that little (and already mentioned) perspective thing the sketch looks great to me

Old 03 March 2008   #10
Quote: though, I might just get rid of them all together to free up the space a little?

thats better, try something else like solid colour or a texture. but if you want to keep the lines (tile) just adjust it a little bit.

Hollow Earth

Last edited by thepineman : 03 March 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #11
Hey there

Your concept is lovely,
I have an idea, you can play with the colors: The ambient color of the classroom (maybe a blue) and a possible sun light comes from the left paints every character in the scene, mixing with their own colors (flesh and fabrics etc.).
If i were you, i'd generate different layers, each layer have a single character and decouped from the latter. So you can test everyone by their own besides see their general effect on the composition overall.
Keep on good work, best wishes.

Old 03 March 2008   #12
hi,

i like your concept.
how about a little alien up front with the teacher showing or doing something.
that way we wouldn't see all aliens from the back or side.

good luck to you.

Old 03 March 2008   #13
Tonight's Work

This is the work I got done tonight. Just laying down some colour flats. Once I have all the flats done I will upload it as an official WIP. So many characters to paint! When will I ever learn my lesson about using too many people in my paintings?!? Anyway, I flipped the image just to get a fresh look at it and will keep flipping it as I progress.

Thaldir -> Yay! Awesome to see you stop by friend. Thanks for the support, but you know how I work. I get all fired up and then run out of steam.

KU2GUN -> Thanks for stopping by and for the advice. I've kept things on separate layers so that I can play with it. The colours are looking a little dark at the moment, but I tend to paint from dark to light so hopefully it will come out brighter in the end.

RoGreg -> Thanks as well for stopping by. I was thinking of adding a little furry alien thing sitting on the table, kind of like a class pet 'hamster' or something, but I will probably see how it goes and then add it towards the end if I feel the image needs a little boost. I'm quite content with the composition at the moment. I just have to be careful of the colours I use so that they don't draw attention way from the forward direction.

Good night all, I'll post again after I get some sleep. No use painting like a zombie!

Old 03 March 2008   #14
Talking

hey nice sketch

I must say I thought of something near to this so it would be amazing to see it actually ...........right now it is one of the favourites keep going

Old 03 March 2008   #15
Nice idea, though why don't you make it in landscape instead? Because the viewpoint is kind of narrow to me.

Thread Closed share thread