CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Uplift Universe - Image
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #31
ScottC
Lowest Common Denominator

portfolio
Scott Clark
USA

That's some fast work. Looking great so far. You did a nice job blocking in the rough mesh figure poses. Did you just use the Zbrush quick transpose functions for that?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #32
tkier
Veteran
portfolio
Tom Kier
USA

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #33
RupertD
Frequenter
portfolio
Bob Bobby
Concept Artist
nonya, Afghanistan

Amazing technique

Thats a really interesting way of working, working up your concepts in 2d then sculpting in 3d. Looking forward to more.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Time for some replies!

@ LightSovereign & RoGreg:

Nice thoughts about the theme but I don't think that I will drive the artwork into comical grounds. It's perhaps a bit strange but I like these modern myths. Besides, there has allready formed a little story about this artwork in my head.

@ ScottC:

Yes, I used the Transpose Feature a lot for bringing the figures into their poses.

@ tkier:

Thanks! I'm wondering what the final piece will look like, too.

@ RupertD:

Indeed, it's really an interesting workflow. Like I mentioned above somewhere, it's the first time, I do a scene like that. Normally I'm used to a 2D Workflow and I encountered several interesting points in working in 3D.

The most interesting thing for me at the moment is, that everday I open the scene, I find a new detail which does not look quite perfect. After I posted the last version for example, I found out, that it would look much better, if the right hand of the monster would form a straight line with the forearm. This way it would much better convey the feeling, that the monster is hanging with his weight on this hand.
In 2D terms, having allready rendered the muscles and everthing would make it quite tedious to change such a detail. In 3D it's just bending things right into place and you're done. For me that means that I can work on details although the pose might not be perfect yet. It does not hurt to make changes and that's quite fascinating.
Another point is, that in 2D I tend to overlook problems in the construction or anatomy after a few hours. I need days and days until I have regained an objective eye on my work. I do not have this problem in 3D so much, I think. Perhaps it's because you always see your work from different views and there's no single view the eye can get used to. Together with the possibility to change things fast, this really helps me to push the boundary I think.

Ok, enough thinking - back to work!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #35
nochuss
not it

portfolio
steven james taylor
teacher
MassArt
USA

nice work..watching this evolve is great

Old 03-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #36
Goro
to the next step!

portfolio
Goro Fujita
VisDev Artist
San Mateo, USA

yo daniel!
Glad you're in!
So you are doing 3D this time? Nice nice I'm looking forward to see your
models grow! Looks great already.
I thought about doing a 2D 3D mixture too...
So good luck mate!

WWW: AREA-56
BLOG: Chapter 56
SHOP: Prints

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldecoy
Thanks for your input! I understand your scepticism concerning the theme. The 'damsel in distress' is quite an old fashioned idea. Nevertheless I'm still fascinated by artwork featuring this theme. Perhaps that is because of it's very simpel and archetypical nature. For me, by the way, this theme is not so much about 'man saving woman' but more about 'man mastering his fear in order to help the weak'. Of course I do not want to pretend that I'm going for deep meaning in this peace but I think that my point of view will show in the details.

Right now I'm thinking about how I might be able to break the strong man/woman/sexuality connotation. Captain Orion is not the type pf guy who breaks women's hearts. The beard lets him appear a bit old and his struggle to save the girl should appear more to be a fatherly impuls. Perhaps I can support this point of view if I make the girl a child. That should break the sexual connotation and support the theme of the 'hero doing good without fear'.

I think I will experiment in this direction. Thank you again, for the input!

Ah, I can respect that. Best of luck in developing this idea!
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #38
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

I continued sculpting on the beast which I have dubbed "Hawkbeast".

These primitive creatures live in the treetops of the planet on which Captain Orion is stranded. The Hawkbeasts have birdish roots but their wings developed into strong climbing arms. Their arms and legs a partly covered with hardened horn plates which make the Hawkbeast fierce predators. They have the nasty habit to climb down their trees and visit the villages of the native humanoids. If they get a chance, they prey on the weak and it sometimes happens, that a Hawkbest catches a child which in this case will never return to it's family. Unless there's someone to stand up against the monster that is.

I think I will make a new topology for the beast before I go into further detail. A lot of work ahead! :)

Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #39
Nomad
rendering...

portfolio
Maciej Frolow
illustrator
France

Arrow

Wow awesome work so far your zbrushing is great, I just bought it and hope to get your level before 2059

I`m looking forward for more stunning art

Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 AM   #40
ScottC

portfolio
Scott Clark
USA

For whatever it's worth, I think some people have you over-thinking the "damsel in distress" motiff. It's not "passe", it's iconic. Its going to be something immediately grasped and appreciated by the viewer.

Some people's "politics du jour" might read more into it, but the fact is its just *that* particular damsel who needs a hand, not every damsel. You could change the imperiled subject to another guy, and the image would still work, but it would lose some of it's charm and whimsy that you have right now with the classic fairy tale themes.

Political correctness has no place in art.

I find it impressive that you're posing the figures first, then sculpting like in a traditional real world sculpting process. The effortless symmetry functions in modern 3d apps have made me very lazy for the "sculpt then pose" workflow. Although, considering how mangled my form usually gets after posing unless I spend days meticulously tweaking rig weighting, its probably counter productive for static images.

Out of curiosity, are you using the "poseable symmetry" function in ZB , or is that all just eyeballed?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #41
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
For whatever it's worth, I think some people have you over-thinking the "damsel in distress" motiff. It's not "passe", it's iconic. Its going to be something immediately grasped and appreciated by the viewer.

Some people's "politics du jour" might read more into it, but the fact is its just *that* particular damsel who needs a hand, not every damsel. You could change the imperiled subject to another guy, and the image would still work, but it would lose some of it's charm and whimsy that you have right now with the classic fairy tale themes.

Political correctness has no place in art.

"Political correctness has no place in art"? On the contrary! As artists, we have a responsibility to think about the way in which our art shapes our society. While I don't agree with externally imposed censorship, if one is going to perpetuate a stereotype with a piece of artwork, one ought to have a good reason for it. (Stereotypes should also be avoided in art because they're dull, and art is about the new). Now in this case, it seems clear that the artist has given a good deal of thought as to why he wants to portray what he intends to portray; he also has a new and interesting spin to give to the "damsel in distress" scenario. Giving the subject matter careful thought is certainly not over-thinking, though, especially when potentially negative stereotypes are involved.

Incidentally, I wouldn't call the equality of the sexes "politics du jour". The women's rights movement is a lot older than you or me, and it's here to stay. It doesn't mean that every "damsel in distress" is a step backwards -- but we do need to be mindful of sex stereotypes, as Daniel seems to be.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Last edited by vmulligan : 03-30-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #42
ScottC

portfolio
Scott Clark
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmulligan
"Political correctness has no place in art"? On the contrary! As artists, we have a responsibility to think about the way in which our art shapes our society. While I don't agree with externally imposed censorship, if one is going to perpetuate a stereotype with a piece of artwork, one ought to have a good reason for it. (Stereotypes should also be avoided in art because they're dull, and art is about the new). Now in this case, it seems clear that the artist has given a good deal of thought as to why he wants to portray what he intends to portray; he also has a new and interesting spin to give to the "damsel in distress" scenario. Giving the subject matter careful thought is certainly not over-thinking, though, especially when potentially negative stereotypes are involved.

Incidentally, I wouldn't call the equality of the sexes "politics du jour". The women's rights movement is a lot older than you or me, and it's here to stay. It doesn't mean that every "damsel in distress" is a step backwards -- but we do need to be mindful of sex stereotypes, as Daniel seems to be.

I meant political correctness in the sense of that knee jerk overreaction people have developed over the last 20 years to ideas that could be tied to any concept that could be considered remotely offensive. I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things you've said, but I don't think any of them apply to anything Daniel is doing with his piece. Grimm fairy tales and King Kong will be classic stories that artists still channel hundreds of years from now, past many different social/political climates when we've moved on to being ridiculously over-offended by something else, like shiny purple buttons or something.

In any event, we'll have to disagree and move on, as this is Daniel's thread, and agree that he is off to a great start with his entry.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #43
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

I'm right in the middle of retopologizing the Hawkbeast. As soon as I left the face area I stopped to care about symmetry completely. I'm basicly only trying to put the polygons were I need them.

I first thought that I might skip the retopo of the Hawkbeast because most parts of the humanoid basemesh worked quite fine. Now I'm quite happy that I spent the time and I'm really looking forward to the new mesh. I did some small sculpting tests on the new mesh part and I think that the new topology will enable me to do some nice and sharp detail.

I spent quite a lot of time on this first part (something around 5 hours) which is mostly due to the high poly count around the face and mouth and the fact that I can not use mirrored tools. The area under the chin was massive pain to retopo because you cannot hide the mesh nor make it transparent (and if I CAN, please teach me!). However, the worst part is done now and I hope that I do not need much more then 10 hours to do the rest. I just mustn't think about the fact, that with mirrored tools I would only need half the time. I think I will retopo Captain Orion in a t-pose to avoid the doubled work. But in fact I do not regret not to have modelled the Hawkbeast in t-pose. In this case, the volumes on both sides are so different that it makes sense to work on the model unmirrored.

Ok, next post will be the finished retopo mesh.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #44
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

@ ScottC:

Concerning your question, I did not use poseable symmetry on this scultpting though it maybe would have made sense on the hands. On the other hand, symmetry tends to get slow the further you get away from the symmetry axis so I might possibly not have gained anything by using it.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #45
Manuel3D
Frequenter

portfolio
Manuel Manfredi
Italy

Send a message via MSN to Manuel3D
Wow! Great Sculpting man!

Thread Closed share thread