CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Uplift Universe - Image
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
LightSovereign
A million gigs of light

portfolio
Marley Mcleay
Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand

I'm impressed with the authority shown in your character art. i like the colours of your latest aswell!

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

The captain looks great, lots of personality, and the scene sketch looks nice as well, i like the colors. Good luck

Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #18
Drikus
Veteran

portfolio
Christoph Werner
Freelance CG Artist
Drensteinfurt, Germany

Very nice color sheme.
I like the basic poses, but what I am missing is the "wild beast" represented by the big alien. You could show him a little bit more ducked, in direction to the hero, with a wide open mouth to give the viewer the feeling of a "roaring alien".

Stay creative
Chris

Last edited by Drikus : 03-28-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

@ stefgrafx:

Haha, you're totally right! That's Buzz Lightyear in that thumb! I did not see that in the first place but now it's obvious.

@ BaronImpossible:

Thank you! That means a lot from your mouth.

@ LightSovereign & azazel:

Thank you!

@ Drikus:

Thanks buddy! Your right, the alien monster does not really work very good in the thumb. But that's ok, because I'm going to design and tweak this creature directly in 3D where I can see the impact of different design approaches directly. this thumbnail is really only a very rough depiction of the scene.

I've started with a rough 3D scene and as soon as I have all characters blocked in I will be back for feedback.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #20
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Concept / pre-visualization: Scene Layout

So, after two evenings of work I've got my first scene layout. I used the same basemesh on the three characters and blocked in their masses only very rough.

Now it's time to work on the individual characters. I'm going into more detail and will also tweak the individual poses.

Since the alien monster was blocked in using a human basemesh it turned out quite humanoid. But that's ok I guess. I don't mind the monster to get a classic muscular monster look but I will definetely push the anatomy of the beast when I'm detailing it. There need to be horn plates, thorns or something like that.

The alien damsel should be quite straitforward, I guess. I'm going for a classic voluminous fantasy chick. The kind you would like to rescue yourself from the clutches of a giant alien hulk. :)

I think I will sculpt the Captain last. The hard round forms in his costume are a bit daunting. I'm wondering how this all will work out in the end. :)

Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
joshpurple
Frequenter

portfolio
Josh Purple
Freelance Artist
Minneapolis, US

Wow! You are bulging with skill! Outstanding work .

Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 AM   #22
laurentino
Know-it-All

portfolio
Filipe Laurentino
Curitiba, Brazil

your sketches are wonderful
awesome work!

Website.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #23
vmulligan
Know-it-All

portfolio
Vikram Mulligan
Postdoctoral researcher
University of Washington
Seattle, United%2BStates

Are you sure you want to go with the stereotypical "damsel in distress"? It seems kind of a passé image in the twenty-first century. I like to think we're moving beyond gender stereotypes like that...

On the technical side, though, your work is quite impressive. I particularly like your sketches for the male character. A small criticism of the monster: its legs are asymmetrical. One bends like a human's, while the other seems to have the shape of a goat or horse leg. It's probably something you'll fix in going from your rough blocked-out shape to the finished piece, of course, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #24
beelow
Slave to Drawing

portfolio
Bryce Smith
Storyboard Artist/ Freelance concept/3d artist
global gaming group
Berkeley, USA

Send a message via MSN to beelow Send a message via Yahoo to beelow
Nice colors and Nice composition. On top of that mood is always nice with your paintings. I enjoyed your journey begins piece. Welcome!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #25
HornlessUnicorn
Know-it-All

portfolio
Dimitrij Marufow
Interpreter / Hobby Artist
Hamburg, Germany

Cool stuff, Daniel! I'm sure this will look great in the end! Can't wait to see more.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

@ vmulligan:

Thanks for your input! I understand your scepticism concerning the theme. The 'damsel in distress' is quite an old fashioned idea. Nevertheless I'm still fascinated by artwork featuring this theme. Perhaps that is because of it's very simpel and archetypical nature. For me, by the way, this theme is not so much about 'man saving woman' but more about 'man mastering his fear in order to help the weak'. Of course I do not want to pretend that I'm going for deep meaning in this peace but I think that my point of view will show in the details.

Right now I'm thinking about how I might be able to break the strong man/woman/sexuality connotation. Captain Orion is not the type pf guy who breaks women's hearts. The beard lets him appear a bit old and his struggle to save the girl should appear more to be a fatherly impuls. Perhaps I can support this point of view if I make the girl a child. That should break the sexual connotation and support the theme of the 'hero doing good without fear'.

I think I will experiment in this direction. Thank you again, for the input!

Concerning the legs: I guess the view does not show it quite right at the moment. The monster has very long feet at the moment. I think the beast's anatomy should become more clear with the details.

Last edited by digitaldecoy : 03-28-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #27
LightSovereign
A million gigs of light

portfolio
Marley Mcleay
Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand

Thumbs up

I like this new shot in 3d, you can see the type of energy that your trying to set up, which has whet my appetite for more ..

I love the fact that he is Irish..i instantly heard Ardal O'hanlon, who played Father Doogle McGuire from 'Father Ted'..so that inadvertently brought in a humerous context for me..

Interesting thoughts on changing the damsil to a child..

Now i know you are taking this subject matter very seriously, but when i read about your proposal to shift the context..I instantly thought of a "roles reversal" (no not a rolls can-hardly *snorts*)

Where the hero is being rescued by the child, and the Alien is retreating in fear..that would be an interesting shot, for not only is it a parody of the "Damsil" situation but it knocks on the door of kids being scared of the closet monster or the one under the bed, If you know what i mean?...of course that changes the ambience from tension to humour..

anyways, mighty fine work so far!!.

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Last edited by LightSovereign : 03-28-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
RoGreg
study...study...study...

portfolio
Gregor Grund
Germany

hi there,

yeah, King Kong in space.
The layout looks good already.

About that damsel in distress - theme: How about switching the man and the woman?
I'd find that more interesting.

But this will be good anyways

Old 03-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #29
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Concept / pre-visualization: Composition Tests

I'm just playing around with the layout scene a bit to entertain you. I think I will stick with the first version. I might, however, turn the whole scene slightly towards the red version, because there the pose of the monster comes out a bit more clear I think.

It's fun to find different compositions and to find out how the scene flows as a whole so that several view angles produce nice compositions. I'm not used to that kind of freedom and I have to watch out that I don't get lost between all the possibilities.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #30
digitaldecoy
Frequenter

portfolio
Daniel Lieske
Digital Artist
Warendorf, Germany

Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

I started sculpting the first level of detail on the monster. I'm not sure if I will stick with the beak and the birdlike head. It would be a good excuse for not having to model teeth. :) The most time I spend on the body. Applications like horn plates or thorns will follow in later steps. Right now I was concerned with placing the muscles right.

Thread Closed share thread