CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Uplift Universe - Image
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 AM   #31
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Work In Progress: Assembling scene

Starting to piece together my final scene, still have to texture the Gubru's gun and cloth, add a gun for the marine to be reaching for, finish the ground and environment and fix some lighting issues with the hair (not to mention the Marine's elvis hairdo lol) More to come!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #32
headtrip
Frequenter

portfolio
Andrew Komoder
Digital Artist
Penrith, Australia

Excellent modelling and great texture! Impressive . Looking forward to seeing the final image. I'm sure David Brin would be impressed with your visualisation of his ideas.

What kind of background are you going to have to compliment this image?

Keep going!

Uplift CG Challenge

Old 04-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #33
sasquatch70
Interpretive Dancer

portfolio
Brad Staley
3D Artist
Ogden, USA

Hey Nicholas,
This looks great.It's a good thing you have new computer, thats an awfull lot of feathers on the guy in the background. That must of been brutal rendering. Looks awesome. One crit though. The guys hair makes him look like he's under water, kind of suspended. Maybe parting his hair or clumping would make it a little more natural. Fantastic work my friend!
Brad

Brads Uplift Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #34
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

headtrip - Thanks man! The background I have in mind will be a reddish sky with stars showing through in parts, smoke rising and a cliff like environment. Haven't really thought it out much further than that so we'll see what happens

sasquatch70 - Yeah the new comp definitely helped, though it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I found a pretty quick solution using Max's hair and fur modifier with a few custom settings that seemed to do the trick, I think the "hair" count was at about a half million to get the coverage I needed. Only took a couple minutes to render.
And yeah the marine's hair I agree 100% with you on. He looks pretty goofy right now lol, I'll see what I can come up with! Thanks for the comment and critique!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 04-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #35
angel
angel's not here man...

portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA

Looking good! I like the concept. Just a couple of comments on what you have so far.
I didn't noticed shards of the broken helmet on the suit. Either add more thickness to them so they are more visible or repose the character so they are more visible; I think this should be more visible since it is an important part of the story that the image is telling.

The hair line on the guy is too uniform looking, if you soften it a little it won't look like a wig anymore. Also the gun on the bird creature kinda aligns with the feather ornament on its arm; I think it is a little confusing, almost looks like the gun is shooting knives. I also think that the dude's finguers are too thin but that might be a nitpick.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
OZ
2d,3d,all is good 4 me!

portfolio
Fabio Oscar Corica
2d 3d modeler and animator
Florence, Italy

HEY!!! great scene! im surprised by your beautifull work!!

B-movie

Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #37
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Work In Progress: Composite Start

Got my final Composite started, still have to add the sky and do a bit of color correction to bring out the characters a bit more, a couple touch ups on the Gubru's feathers and a seam I still have to paint ou (had to do a tile render and it gave me a couple gaps)

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #38
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Snows - Thanks for the critique! I agree 100% with the hair, honestly I like him a little better without it, I think it does his character more justice And yeah now that you mention it his fingers may be a bit too thin, hopefully it's nothing too noiceable since the submission date is creeping it's way around the corner!

OZ - Thanks again man, I wouldn't go as far as calling it beautiful, but thank you

Good luck to all with the deadline fast approaching!!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #39
ahmetekn
Frequenter

portfolio
Ahmet Arif Eken
ahmetekn
Istanbul, Turkey

Hey Nicholas, beautiful work! Clothes textures are excellent. Environment is too much realistic! How did you make rocks? Zbrush, dispmap?

Good luck for final step

Old 05-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #40
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

ahmetekn - Thanks for the reply and kind words! Rocks are just a combination of a bunch of things. I made the ground with just a displacement map and a few scattered modeled rocks laying around. The background rocks I made with ZBrush.

Well, back to work!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #41
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Work In Progress: Finishing Comp

Starting to add in the Background and piece the very last of it together, just a little more cleanup and maybe a little more attention on the planet in the background and that'll be it!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #42
ymonkato
Villager

portfolio
Monkato Yang
Freelance
OCON
Cottage Grove, Minnesota, USA

Thanks! I hope I can finish on time. Very nice 3d piece by the way! Wish I could do that. It does suck up here freelancing. I'm trying to make the best of it. Thanks for the encouraging words. I hope to see ya at the finish line!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #43
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Final Image: Final Entry

A last battle on a distant moon ends in the evil Gubru's favor. After hunting down the general of the human resistance who tried to retreat to safety, Sith, a hired headhunter for the Gubru army, watches as the human pitifully makes a last attempt to save his own life. Intent on not letting the human revel in any last minute glory, Sith raises his gun and begins to squeeze the trigger.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #44
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

And now credit deserved where it is due.

Inspiration - Stargate (anything with birds and space, how could you not think about those badass guys from Stargate?), Starcraft, Star Wars (namely the outfits of the Xwing Pilots and the kind of grungy look they all had) and a splash of Riddick.

Sources - Textures from CGTextures.com and a background image from Nasa. Rest of it handpainted.

Software - Max, ZBrush, Photoshop, Mental Ray

Good luck to everyone else, I had a good time and learned a lot!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #45
ahmetekn
Frequenter

portfolio
Ahmet Arif Eken
ahmetekn
Istanbul, Turkey

Thumbs up Congrats!

Hey Nicholas, really beatiful modeling and texturing. Very realistic render. Impressive scene and atmosphere. Ligting and environment is awesome. Congratulations!Good luck mate for final step

Cheers

Thread Closed share thread