Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Nicholas McElmury

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2008   #1
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Nicholas McElmury

Nicholas McElmury is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final Entry

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 03 March 2008   #2
According to what I have found (being one who hasn't read the books), "Gubru's" are a species hostile towards humans.

I'm going to be creating a Diorama piece depicting the end of a battle between the Gubru's and the humans with the Gubrus ending up victorious.

According to what I have found (being one who hasn't read the books), "Gubru's" are a species hostile towards humans.

I will post a sketch and concept of the entire scene when I get some more time, I just wanted to get the ball rolling! :-)

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 03 March 2008   #3
Concept / pre-visualization: Gubru sketch

Got a little ancy today and decided to do a quick sketch of my interpretation of the "Gubru" species so far.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 03 March 2008   #4
Neat character design!

One thing I've learned with contests like this is to be really wary of epic "battle" scenes. That requires attention to a lot of different elements, and May 9th is just not very far away. Perhaps I misunderstood, and you have something more "focused" in mind".

Old 03 March 2008   #5
Hey Scott thanks for the reply!
Yeah I get what you're saying, and I have definitely bit off more than I can chew in the past, hopefully this won't be the case this time around. The scene isn't necessarily a battle scene, more of post battle. I'm only planning on having 2-3 characters and a landscape. No hordes of people or battalions of creatures or anything like that. I want to focus more on the actual closeup interaction of the two races and keep the focal point directly on them.

I'm going to try to work up a sketch tomorrow or this weekend for the way I'm planning on approaching this, hopefully that should clear things up!

Take a look back in a few days, let me know what you think if you get a chance!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 03 March 2008   #6
battle scene are truely complicated, right, but it's workable in 2 month.
i only hope that you'vn't something else to do

The design of gubru remind me some retro-design, wich is timeless, a mix of old-time design on a future background like some kind on SF style. really noticeable.

Moreover, your sketch is really well executed, can't wait to see the whole scene you've in mind.

Old 03 March 2008   #7
Work In Progress: started modeling

Started on modeling a character. I'm using a head I built a while back, it needs some work, the ears are a little thin and missing some detail, that and I'm not too crazy about his lips. I'm going to try to post some more concept art of what I'm aiming for at the finish, I'm just terrible at concepting large scenes :-P

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 03 March 2008   #8
I think you should definately go with the aftermath of a battle. It leaves more to the imagination. Your model looks great so far. Good job and good luck.

Brad

Old 03 March 2008   #9
This is excellent stuff. I especially like the design of your Gubru character. Definitely no crits from me. Keep up the cool work!

Old 03 March 2008   #10
Work In Progress: Modeling progress

Some more progress on modeling, haven't ever modeled a "space marine" looking guy so I'm definitely having some fun with this. Inspiration definitely coming from countless hours of playing Halo, and though I've never actually played it, I love the Starcraft 2 cinematic Blizzard did, so that's definitely having some influence. Though in the end I would like my scene to be a bit grittier.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 03 March 2008   #11
And some overdue comments..

mdavid - Thank you! Nice portfolio btw.

sasquatch70 - Thanks, that's the idea I had in mind. I wanted to spend some more time with concept art for my final image, but I have a hell of a lot of modeling to do so I figured I had better hop to it. Basic scene in mind is...

On a rocky knoll or ledge. A Gubru has a human general on his knees bound by the hands and is about to execute him with his gun in hand. In the background is another human warrior watching in terror as his general is assasinated in front of his eyes. He will also be bound at the hands and be held back by another Gubru warrior.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 03 March 2008   #12
WOAH! a super start for you!!! near two month to go and you are right on modeling this detailed way!?? Cool stuff man!

B-movie

Old 03 March 2008   #13
Thumbs up Great!!

Nice work! I like details!
I wait to see more =)
Good luck!

Old 04 April 2008   #14
Work In Progress: Modeling progress

About done modeling the marine guy, going to start unwrapping UVs soon, this should be fun....

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 04 April 2008   #15
morganvillette - Thanks for the encouragement!

OZ - Thank you, yeah I figured I had better model as much as I can and really get cracking, I still have another base character to do so I'm going to need a big chunk of time for him too

www.nickmcelmury.com

Thread Closed share thread