Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Bill Corbett

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
Looks promising! Like the colours, keep it coming

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008
- Thankyou Nekomouse, I guess we all work differently. Some of the entries here have already opened my eyes to different techniques!

- Thanks Alwyn, I've got about four stories in my head for this one I'll try and fit in the one that works best with the landscape I think.

- Thanks Dimitrij. I certainly will.

04 April 2008
I love the etheral quality in the clouds and the way that, at the same time, they take on some of the mountain-like quality of the rocks.

I am imagining the figures quite small on here. I think that could add to the grandness of the design.

04 April 2008
The colors looks pretty cool. I like the clouds alot, how you almost made it to look like mountains. Majestic feel yet calming scene. Keep it up and good luck!

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Lifted 5

Stage 5, I guess this is a WIP now! I've added a planet (which might be a little to prominent) and started working the rocks a bit more. I'm not sure about the rocks on the left at the moment they might change drastically at some point. I desaturated the rocks to the right a little and added more detail. I'm thinking of either a first encounter scenario unfolding or possibly a we-all-live-together kinda deal. I toyed with the idea of alien riding human, or human riding alien but there's a few like that already. Thanks for looking!

04 April 2008
Talking

fantastic, the moon adds plenty to the scene!..the colours are sublime..

Crits. Yes the left hand rocks seem to be a litle too uniform, i find them quite distracting..but this is without the characters..who knows, they may actually help the scene when you paint them in..I think you can vary the cumulus clouds aswell, My mind races at the possibilities you could do with them ..

great work now, bill.

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

04 April 2008
This is looking great. Those clouds are superb - they add a lot of drama to the image.

I like how you've got different kinds of rocks on each side of the image - the rough, natural rocks on the right and the more sculpted piled-up ones on the left make a nice contrast and add real interest.

Wonderful stuff

04 April 2008
Talking

• Thanks John, yes when I started I was in half a mind to make the formation into a mountain, but it seemed to work better as a cloud formation when I started painting it.
  • Thanks Ben, I'll certainly try
  • Hey Marley! Thanks mate I agree about the those rocks on the left I will have to work something out with that area for sure. At least one large figure will shadow that area I think, but we'll see. I was thinking of revisitng the clouds later on when I've nailed down the whole composition in full so I reckon you must be reading my mind right now
  • Thanks Mark, yeah I wanted to get a cross a contrast in the textures especially where the rocks are concerned. At the moment I'm not sure how the left side will turn out as I'm toying with a largish figure in a lot of that space. I'm thinking the best thing to do is try and make it work more before I place the figure.. we'll see

04 April 2008
Your work is amazing! I'm really impressed

04 April 2008
This has a great sense of scale! I can't wait to see whats going in the foreground!

04 April 2008
This is a great setting pearlyking. About the characters, have you considered flying aliens/humans? That way the sunlight could hit them, and you could paint then with really rich colors to fit with the landscape.
Anyway, beautiful pallette. Keep it up!

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

04 April 2008
I think you can give your clouds a bit variation and subdue some of the blue hues at the bottom of them. Try to lessen the contrast of that background as well. I agree with Marlin about the rocks try to get those rocks to feel the same as the other rock formations in the environment. get them consistent with each other. I am waiting to see how the figures will fit in this space. Keep painting on. Your doing good I will be back to check your progress.

04 April 2008
I very much like your painterly style. The moon in the background doesn't quite fit with it, though, and it looks a bit too much like the Earth's moon. You might want to paint over it a bit, both to disguise it and to help it to match your excellent foreground work.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

04 April 2008
Thumbs up

• Many thanks Maurizio
  • Thanks Frederick I'll get working on it soon
  • I think that you are right Gerardo. I reckon that my figures would be confined to a shaded foreground if I didn't get at least one or two up in the air. I think that would make the composition more interesting too. Thanks for the suggestion
  • You're given me some good advice Bryce, and I've acted on it already. Hopefully my next post will fix some of those issues. Many thanks!
  • I agree Vikram and I've taken care of that for my next post. Thanks for your advice

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Lifted 6

Stage 6, took on board some advice and made some more changes. Varied the cloud formation and lowered the contrast for the background. Painted the planet a bit more. Changed the rock formation on the left to have some semblance to the one on the right (still have a lot to do on these rocks). Re-painted the two distant rock formations. Will most probally add one or two flying aliens to take advantage of the lighting, and will more than likely add some flora and fauna to make the foreground more interesting.. Thanks for looking!

Thread Closed share thread