Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Dimitrij Marufow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2008
Looks good. It seems a shame to partially cover the interesting landscape outcropping you've created with the alien. Perhaps you could shift it to the left a little so it can be fully seen. Also, the human seems to be looking at us rather than at the alien.

03 March 2008
very nice .. one thing tho ,, the right arm seems very straight and very sticked to the body .. i like the idea keep it coming

03 March 2008
Looking good, well executed. A couple of things need work, though - the central composition isn't working too well. I would suggest cropping left and / or right, or moving the characters to the right.

Also, you've illustrated one problem with doing the background first, rather than at the same time as the foreground - that you've covered up a lot of that excellent landscape!

03 March 2008
Thanks a lot for all the comments and especially for the critique I will consider everything. Iím not quite happy with the composition myself yet and I feel that composition is one of the areas where I need to work harder. As for the background and foreground problem Ė I see that too, but Iím not as worried about covering things actually Ė something in the background will always be covered by something in the foreground.

I must admit that Iím a bit unused to work this way Ė posting WIP and all. I think that on the one hand itís a great thing, because you get feedback early on and all - on the other hand it distracts from the intensity of the creative process or should I say the immersion into it by forcing you to show progress and maybe worrying to much about all kinds of things. It also creates a sense of urgency that in my opinion is not helpfull at all.

I canít really put it into words, but I find it distracting, maybe all the more so, because this is the first time for me.

Thanks again BaronImpossible, Nightwoodwolf, Nickjsky!

and good luck to everyone!

Dimitri.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

03 March 2008
That's looking awesome. I agree that it is a pity to cover such a masterfully painted background but eh, such is life. I have no doubt that your foreground characters will be just as beautiful.

03 March 2008
Thank you Nekomouse!

I'm not quite happy with the human yet - I might have to rework that. I will post more later on.

Have fun and good luck!

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

03 March 2008
for sure you got the relation with aliens here .Want to see more

Ze Blog

Steampunk
Uplift Universe
Strange Behavior

03 March 2008
I like the imaginative forms and the colours are rich. I think this is going to be a goodie.

I'm not sure what mood the main figure is conveying at the moment though. It seems like such a dramatic moment and I would expect a bit more of a facial expression.

Also, I think the composition could benefit from a little more light and shade. I tend to flatten things out myself and that is one of the habits that I am trying to break.

Overall though, really nice. Looking forward to seeing more.

03 March 2008
Work In Progress: More work on the foreground

Done some more work on the foreground. There's still a lot to do.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

03 March 2008
Originally Posted by John Keates: I like the imaginative forms and the colours are rich. I think this is going to be a goodie.

I'm not sure what mood the main figure is conveying at the moment though. It seems like such a dramatic moment and I would expect a bit more of a facial expression.

Also, I think the composition could benefit from a little more light and shade. I tend to flatten things out myself and that is one of the habits that I am trying to break.

Overall though, really nice. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks a lot for your comments Eric and John!

I agree about the shadows and they're planned so to say - I'll add them later.

Cheers,

Dimitri.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

03 March 2008
Thumbs up Nice work

Very interesting environment!
I like it!
I can not wait to see more... good luck!

04 April 2008
I like very much the bright colours, and the idea is a good one. good luck to you.

04 April 2008
This is coming along so well! The expression of the human bugs me a little. Maybe I'm just reading odd things into it, but it kinda reminds me of when people are posing for publicity photos and trying to look civil even though they hate each other guts? Something about his expression seems to say 'I really don't want to be here...'

Or is it just me?

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by Nekomouse: This is coming along so well! The expression of the human bugs me a little. Maybe I'm just reading odd things into it, but it kinda reminds me of when people are posing for publicity photos and trying to look civil even though they hate each other guts? Something about his expression seems to say 'I really don't want to be here...'

Or is it just me?

He he... well It's not finished yet. The thing is that the face is done from scratch and I realized that it's much more dificult to do (and that I need to work with portraits a lot more) than when you have a reference. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the expression but okay for now I guess...

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008
Originally Posted by Nekomouse: This is coming along so well! The expression of the human bugs me a little. Maybe I'm just reading odd things into it, but it kinda reminds me of when people are posing for publicity photos and trying to look civil even though they hate each other guts? Something about his expression seems to say 'I really don't want to be here...'

Or is it just me?

He he... well It's not finished yet. The thing is that the face is done from scratch and I realized that it's much more dificult to do (and that I need to work with portraits a lot more) than when you have a reference. I can't say I'm entirely happy with the expression but it's okay for now I guess...

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Thread Closed share thread