Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Introduction | Prizes | Instructions | Categories | Inspiration | Judging | Rules | FAQ
Deliverables | Join | Submit Entry | View Entries | Image Forum | Video Forum
REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2008
Smile one question pls

I am from India can I take part in this competiton

03 March 2008
Loool

Originally Posted by donmatrix: I am from India can I take part in this competiton

No... sorry.
No india-people allowed =))

03 March 2008
Originally Posted by donmatrix: I am from India can I take part in this competiton

i do believe you can...

03 March 2008
cyberon are you sure that i can participate

03 March 2008
just want to make sure, is it alright to put the 3d alien in real picture (landscape photos as background} and just composite it?
Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by chandro : 03 March 2008 at 01:38 PM.

03 March 2008
Nope I'm sure you can't. Sorry.
But if I give you my P.O. Box will you post me some frozen samoosas?
I can put in a word for you then.

Maybe they'll make an exception?

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by Spin99 : 03 March 2008 at 03:47 PM.

03 March 2008
Hi there,

another question: My movie will be 2 minutes.I see in the instructions that is recomanded in first place to make a trailer at 30 secunds.But I want to show all my movie in the first place.It is possible?

Best to all!

03 March 2008
Talking

Originally Posted by donmatrix: cyberon are you sure that i can participate

Of course you can check the nationalities of the contestants, they are from all over..

yea i am partial to samoosas aswell :P hahaha

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

03 March 2008
Is there a limit to the number of tris or polycount or scale of the scene (as long as the final image fits the composition), etc...?

03 March 2008
Originally Posted by Argopo: Qucik clarification regaring print resolution:

In essense, we are to render out (if using a 3d program) at 11072x15152 @ 72ppi. Then resize image in PS to 2657x3636 @ 300ppi.

No... You should aim to render your image at 2657x3636 or thereabouts. You can set the print DPI after the fact in Photoshop, WITHOUT resampling the image; this will only affect the size of the image on the page if it is printed. Don't waste time rendering at ridiculous resolutions if you're just going to throw resolution away by scaling down.

If you're confused about the difference between resolution (the size of an image in pixels) and DPI (the number of pixels per inch when the image is printed), see this link.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

03 March 2008
Prize Ownership

Are we allowed to donate or sell any prizes we win?

E.g., If someone already has a Softimage License, could they donate it to a school or sell it at a discount price?

03 March 2008
about posting images

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. It allows us to track the entries properly, and guarantee continued hosting of all images.

I'm very Sorry almost to a degree I feel stupid.
I've already posted my question regards this matter but I only got a link as a reply.
Where can I find the Challenge site facility for uploading the WIP images??
thanks for reading and sorry about re-asking the question..

Best,

03 March 2008
Quote: Or is it possible to create just trailer as a ´main piece´? (and to add making of video at the end)

Yes, append the making-of to the end. Keeping it all in one video makes it far easier on the judges.

Quote: other question: is supposed to be sound guy/musician part of the team or is just name in the credits since he is not graphic artist?

Credits is fine.

Quote: and last one: is it possible to use alien language (some strange sounds) and put subtitles as a explanation/translation?

Yes

Quote: Iam from India can I take part in this competion

Yes

Quote: just want to make sure, is it alright to put the 3d alien in real picture (landscape photos as background} and just composite it?

Yes, that is possible.

Quote: another question: My movie will be 2 minutes.I see in the instructions that is recomanded in first place to make a trailer at 30 secunds.But I want to show all my movie in the first place.It is possible?

Possible - the 30s is a recommendation to improve your chances with the judges. Unless you're making an 'Uplift movie' trailer in the first place, it's not really applicable.

Quote: Is there a limit to the number of tris or polycount or scale of the scene (as long as the final image fits the composition), etc...?

Not on our end, but your PC may disagree

Quote: Are we allowed to donate or sell any prizes we win?

If you place and outright win a prize, then yes.

Quote: E.g., If someone already has a Softimage License, could they donate it to a school or sell it at a discount price?

You'd have to check with Softimage if you can resell their non-commercial licenses (which all contestants who finish will get), but I don't see why you couldn't sell a full copy if you won it.

XSIEN: You upload them through the Submit Entry page.

03 March 2008
Anothe question:

When we must submited the Making of video file?In the competition period or after the competition is finished?
Thanks!

03 March 2008
Thanks Mibus for the replay

only one depending on the other... is a text, also seen as inspiration?

reply share thread