CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Uplift Universe - Image
Login register
Introduction | Prizes | Instructions | Categories | Inspiration | Judging | Rules | FAQ
Deliverables | Join | Submit Entry | View Entries | Image Forum | Video Forum
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #46
liviuberechet
Freelancer

portfolio
Liviu Berechet
3D Games Arts
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield, United Kingdom

Send a message via Yahoo to liviuberechet
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRallo
thanks Russel-Nash...

to liviuberechet, i would enter the challenge as individual because if you don't have real artist in a team they will stop the process of work needless.

(bad english...or not?)

I want to enter the challenge as individual.

No body else will work on this except me... just in the body painting process (becasuse I can hold a mouse but not a paint brush) and the making of the clothes (I'm a guy... and I'm not gay) I will have some help from one or two friends. But those two things are considered art.. so is this project still considered my artwork ??

I just want to be fairplay.

Last edited by liviuberechet : 03-24-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #47
donmatrix
don
Bangalore, India

regarding posts

i have entered a image but as soon as i post it it is not visible on the in the forum

Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #48
madcan
Frequenter

portfolio
Alican Serbest
Animator
Babun Film
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to madcan
I have invited a member to my team but since his email address was old, he can't get the mail that's sent to him. And I can't send him another invite either. What should we do? Where can he confirm the invite other than the email?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #49
livake
Know-it-All
portfolio
Liviu Mihai
graphicartist
Gameloft
Bucharest, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to livake
question!

At the video team...Every member team must be a member CGtalk?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #50
donmatrix
don
Bangalore, India

Smile

how long will it take for the post along with the image to appear on the forum of 'uplift' challenge

Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #51
Rhs_CG
Know-it-All

Chris Rydalch
Venice, USA

Is it permissible to include a recognizable brand in the image (such as a logo, or a product) or would that infringe on intellectual property?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #52
ICHOMA
Frequenter

portfolio
MAURICIO ALVARADO
Digital Process & DTP Manager
ICHOMA
Mexico, Mexico

Exclamation using Macintosh

Hi friends of SOFT IMAGE, I am trying to download the software but is for Windos, I am Macintosh user, do you have a version for Mac, and where do I go to download it?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #53
Rhs_CG
Know-it-All

Chris Rydalch
Venice, USA

There is no version of XSI for Mac OS X. Sorry!

No hay una version de XSI para el Macintosh. Lo siento!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 AM   #54
Anubis3D
Veteran
portfolio
Caio Velenosi
Santo André, Brazil

Send a message via MSN to Anubis3D
Another question regarding XSI: I downloaded it from the link provided here, installed, everything went fine. But when I try to run the software it closes as soon as the splash image disappears. I don't think it's a limitation of my machine, as I already had a trial version of it installed sometime ago. I tried uninstalling and installing again, but the problem remained. Does anybody knows what may be happening?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 AM   #55
Mibus

Quote:
In other words will you allow cloth and hair to be used as visual effects to be judged?

No.

Quote:
Just so I understand what is considered inappropriate, is alien nudity allowed?

It really depends on what people are likely to find offensive... nobody will find a totally naked gelatinous blob to be offensive, but a nipple-showing vulcan may be. Just use your best judgement, and be tasteful

Quote:
If you create a 3D still scene, but then decide to animate it, can the original still and the animated version be entered separately in the video and image categories, or should there be different subject matter for each?

It's a great idea to highlight aspects of your technique for open categories, but they'll probably just be considered a single distinct entry when we tally up the votes (unless they are noticably different in some way). Note that you can now submit video to your image entry with the CGUploader!

Quote:
In essense, we are to render out (if using a 3d program) at 11072x15152 @ 72ppi. Then resize image in PS to 2657x3636 @ 300ppi.

DPI/ppi is really meaningless when you're not looking at physical size. Feel free to render at 2657x3636 (or similar).

Quote:
Do you want final image to be converted to CMYK or remain as RGB?

RGB. We have a trained team of uber-intelligent monkeys that do the CMYK conversions when images are going to print, and they know the all of the ins-and-outs and intimate details of the process.

Quote:
Hi, I just noticed that the deadline for the image entry is actually quite a bit earlier than what's advertised on the contest banner. Is there any chance of getting the image deadline to be the same as the video deadline?

Not for this challenge.

Quote:
I'm participating in the image category. If I make a turntable of one of my models to try the modeling open category, where should I upload it? In my own thread, in a video thread, using the CGUploader?

You can do video uploads in your Image-category thread, via the CGChallenge Uploader.

Quote:
Just wanted to know if it's ok to take Jim Burn's illustrations and take on them as
concept art to produce a 3D image?

In other words do we have to be totally original from existing book covers or
can we do a 3D interpretation of them?

You're best off doing as much as you can yourself. Use the images provided for inspiration, not as a direct basis for your own image.

Quote:
Just to be sure - I can use either portrait or landscape orientation, right?

Yes!

Quote:
Hello , can you please tell me how to close my individual entry ? We want to form a team and we thought that to do that each one of us must submit a form from the Enter the challenge section. we did that , my team-mate sent me and invitation to join his team and if i wand to accept it says that i am already in a group , what should i do ?

I've just changed some stuff - try again, and email me directly if it doesn't work (robert@ballisticmedia.net).

Quote:
only one question to this (above) ... where can I post the credit?

In the notes/description of your submission, or (if it's a video) as part of the credits.

Quote:
Specifically, do neo-dolphins, neo-chimps, neo dogs, neo-gorillas, etc, count as "aliens"?

Let's just say "yes" to keep it simple .

Quote:
In terms of music, what is allowed? Do you have to have an original piece? Or can you use a previous piece of music, so long as you credit the composer? And ask permission of course..

At the very least, you need to have permission to use the piece, and credit it.

Quote:
How important is it to have a good story for your picture?

It's probably more important to have the story evident just by looking at the picture, rather than writing a novelisation of your own.

liviuberechet: 1: Probably a team. If you're the only CGTalker in the group, make very certain to note in your posts that other people worked on it (and what they did), so we can make the decision at the end. 2: yes, 3: yes and yes, but don't forget to credit any inspirational material used.

Quote:
It's possible to link the entry in another blog/forum?

Talking in other blog/forum for technical question (with some image of the WIP) it's possible?

Absolutely.

Quote:
i have entered a image but as soon as i post it it is not visible on the in the forum

New members posts wait for validation, it's possible that this happened to you.

Quote:
I have invited a member to my team but since his email address was old, he can't get the mail that's sent to him. And I can't send him another invite either. What should we do? Where can he confirm the invite other than the email?

He can't. Email me his username (to robert@ballisticmedia.net) and I'll remove the existing invite. Make sure he's using the right email address and invite him again.

Quote:
At the video team...Every member team must be a member CGtalk?

It certainly makes things easier if everyone is a Talker, yes . You can just make certain to credit them in the video's credits if they're not doing CG stuff.

Quote:
Is it permissible to include a recognizable brand in the image (such as a logo, or a product) or would that infringe on intellectual property?

You'd have to be very careful. Best to stay away from 'obvious' things if at all possible.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
turbinea
e-Terran

portfolio
Jan Harcarik
level designer
madrid, España

Send a message via ICQ to turbinea

I´ve read isntructions for video entries and one thing is not clear to me. I understood that i have to create short movie, trailer and making of video. Or is it possible to create just trailer as a ´main piece´? (and to add making of video at the end)

other question: is supposed to be sound guy/musician part of the team or is just name in the credits since he is not graphic artist?

and last one: is it possible to use alien language (some strange sounds) and put subtitles as a explanation/translation?

Last edited by turbinea : 03-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #57
ScottC
Lowest Common Denominator

portfolio
Scott Clark
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
Specifically, do neo-dolphins, neo-chimps, neo dogs, neo-gorillas, etc, count as "aliens"?

Let's just say "yes" to keep it simple .

Actually, on further investigation, on the instructions page it says we must depict the interaction between humans and one other "species", so under this definition, neos clearly qualify without needing to make overly complex "exceptions".

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #58
XSIEN
Frequenter

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Sue Jang
digital artist
over the rainbow, US

Send a message via MSN to XSIEN
Hello everyone.
I'm sorry but I need to ask a simple question.
My Posting rules indicate that I may not post attachments.
How can I attach/upload an image using CGtalk attachment module?
I have not seen the option anywhere..
Thanks for reading/help.
Sorry if this matter had been discussed before.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #59
Mibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSIEN
My Posting rules indicate that I may not post attachments.
How can I attach/upload an image using CGtalk attachment module?

You don't, you use the "Submit Entries" page.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #60
donmatrix
don
Bangalore, India

Smile one question pls

Iam from India can I take part in this competion

reply share thread