Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Introduction | Prizes | Instructions | Categories | Inspiration | Judging | Rules | FAQ
Deliverables | Join | Submit Entry | View Entries | Image Forum | Video Forum
REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2008   #31
Originally Posted by lucar: hi,
how I can upload new images in my wip?
thanks..

luca

Go to: http://features.cgsociety.org/chall...ubmit_entry.php

Enter your CGS name and password. This will take you to an upload page where you browse your hard drive for the pic and enter info about your image.

Old 03 March 2008   #32
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes: Russel, can you confirm that you can render at the Challenege resolution (I think it's 2657 x 3636)?

Thanks.

-TS-

Yes, rendering at 3636 x 2728 works fine here.

Old 03 March 2008   #33
Question about final image-orientation

Just to be sure - I can use either portrait or landscape orientation, right?

I would like to use landscape, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Dimitri.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

Old 03 March 2008   #34
Hello , can you please tell me how to close my individual entry ? We want to form a team and we thought that to do that each one of us must submit a form from the Enter the challenge section. we did that , my team-mate sent me and invitation to join his team and if i wand to accept it says that i am already in a group , what should i do ?

Old 03 March 2008   #35
Originally Posted by Mibus: A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

only one question to this (above) ... where can I post the credit?

thx. allan

Old 03 March 2008   #36
Originally Posted by Argopo: Qucik clarification regaring print resolution:

In essense, we are to render out (if using a 3d program) at 11072x15152 @ 72ppi. Then resize image in PS to 2657x3636 @ 300ppi.

Do you want final image to be converted to CMYK or remain as RGB?

Nope that doesn't make sense, the resolution @72ppi would be lower than @300ppi!

Ballistic books are around 22x30cm / 8.66x12.12" which translates roughly to those 2657x3636px at 300ppi... Render higher if you can (for postprocessing/cropping/etc) but 11072x15152 would be insane for most computers :P

Regarding CMYK conversion, this is taken from every Ballistic call for entries :

"3. Do not convert your image to CMYK and do not over-sharpen it for print. We will be applying CMYK conversions and other filters that are optimal for the print process we have chosen. It is probable that we will be employing the most recent direct to plate and stochastic screen processes for printing. You should concentrate on providing images that look excellent on screen and let us perform the optimal preparation for print."

Old 03 March 2008   #37
Originally Posted by HornlessUnicorn: Just to be sure - I can use either portrait or landscape orientation, right?

I would like to use landscape, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Dimitri.

Yeah! Just as a sidenote, Ballistic doesn't print images sideways (if you're making a landscape orientation) except for: portrait images when they decide it's great enough to use two pages; and for special edition prints

Old 03 March 2008   #38
Define "Aliens"

Conceptual question. I normally wouldnt split hairs like this, but it's especially pertinent if you're trying to adapt the "Uplift" material.

Is "alien" defined as non-human life, or "extra-terrestrial" life? If you consider the source material you're promoting, you can see the distinction here, and I dont want to be disqualified on a technicality.

Specifically, do neo-dolphins, neo-chimps, neo dogs, neo-gorillas, etc, count as "aliens"?

Last edited by ScottC : 03 March 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Old 03 March 2008   #39
In terms of music, what is allowed? Do you have to have an original piece? Or can you use a previous piece of music, so long as you credit the composer? And ask permission of course..

Old 03 March 2008   #40
How important is it to have a good story for your picture?
How great should it be?

Old 03 March 2008   #41
One question to everybody, who uses XSI too.

In the titleline of my XSI it says that i can use this version only for 26 days more, although i should use the program till the 12th may.
If anybody has the same problem please post this, because i just want to know weather i'am the only one.

Old 03 March 2008   #42
Originally Posted by DonRallo: One question to everybody, who uses XSI too.

In the titleline of my XSI it says that i can use this version only for 26 days more, although i should use the program till the 12th may.
If anybody has the same problem please post this, because i just want to know weather i'am the only one.

It's the same here. I have posted an answer to this question on page 2 of this thread. Hope this helps.

Old 03 March 2008   #43
Exclamation FAQ - Individual or Team ?

I've been thinking about making a movie trailer. I will be using some filmed scenes, and I'm not shore if i shoud enter the challange as a indivual or as a team.

Me and my girlfriend own a cg company, but I've been a freelancer for about 4 years. There are more people involved in the company, most of them beginners (about 6 months of experience), so for this project I will be doing all the Concept, Directing, Modeling, Texturing, Rigging, Animation, Rendering, Compositing... What I won't be doing is the body panting of some of the characters (not fully sure that i will be using body painting or other form of art), I will have some help from my girlfriend with the concept and the making of the clothes. And a lot of friends acting in front of the camera.

My questions:

1. All form of art that will be done on the computer (CG) will be done by me. But there are other forms of art made by some friends (ex: clothes, body painting, real acting) of course directed by me.
- Am I still entering the challange as an Individual?

2. The company is own and run by me and my friend.
- Am I allowed to put my company logo at the end of the clip.

3. The story concept is my own. I did it before I ever read anyting about the "Uplift Universe". My story has something about the humans going on an alien planet and starting a life there, evolving along side with the alien species; I think that in the books there is also something about some human descovering another planet. And I event think that in the books it says something about a war (I don't know because I only read some paragraphs), and my story is also about a war. But the story is basically different.
- Can I use this clip on my Company's Show Reel?
- Cand I use it to find a sponsor for creating a real movie after it? (Just asking, I'm not thinking about actual doing it)

PS: sorry for my "not so good" english

Old 03 March 2008   #44
thanks Russel-Nash...

to liviuberechet, i would enter the challenge as individual because if you don't have real artist in a team they will stop the process of work needless.

(bad english...or not?)

Old 03 March 2008   #45
It's possible to link the entry in another blog/forum?

Talking in other blog/forum for technical question (with some image of the WIP) it's possible?

reply share thread