Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2008
hey daniel !

spannendes projekt- ich freu mich über jeden neuen schritt.

2 sachen drängen sich mir auf und die muss ich mal gerade loswerden.
dabei weiß ich noch nicht genau, was noch wip ist...naja, ich schreib einfach mal:

- einmal stört mich, dass die hand den baum so sehr schneidet, also weil sich da so viele
dinge überschneiden. ich hab irgendwie das bedürfnis, den blickwinkel mehr zu drehen,
dass man das monster mehr von vorne sieht und die hand frei vor dem hintergrund steht.

-was hat der retter genau vor ? selbst wenn das monster gar nichts macht, sieht das nicht
so aus, als könnte der mann irgendwas bewirken...
oder bekommt der noch nen lichtschwer oder ne railgun oder so ?

hau rein !

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

I put the alien girl into pose today. I guess I could give the pose a bit more drama but before I'm able to pull that off I better sleep a night over it. Tomorrow I 'll have a fresh go at her.

Last edited by digitaldecoy : 04 April 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

04 April 2008
How much more detail you are going to do before you add texture? You can sculpt it to oblivion, but consider the timeframe that you have. I am pretty sure that you understand that. Continue to pimp these models out.

04 April 2008
Wow, that is some excellent work! I am really liking your Hawkbeast. You have done some very impressive work in a very short period of time. Nicely done.

04 April 2008
Work In Progress: Sculpting WIP

Ok, another evening and another 3 hours of sculpting later and I'm pretty happy with the alien girl now. I surely will fix some things on her when I later revisit her with a fresh view but for now she's done.

You know what that means! Right, it's time for the Captain! I'm really looking forward to sculpting the Captain. I'm really curious to see, how he turns out.

04 April 2008
excellent!

( teach me zbrush! i can't work it out on my own :( haha )

04 April 2008
After having slept a night over it I definetely see several issues that should be fixed. For example the braid at her ear. It's sticking to the face and should be flying I think. And I need to ephasize the muscles on her left arm to show, that she is pushing against the monster's grip.

Anyway, time for some replies:

@ nwiz25:

I'm longing for color, too. I could't resist to put at least a few flat colors into the latest WIP.

@ lucy.turm:

The monster's supposed to cling to the tree. There's no camera angle in which the hand would stand alone before the background. I hope, this becomes more clear when I have a proper dropshadow on the tree.

Of course, Captain Orion will not defeat the Hawkbeast bearehanded. I plan to give him a blaster pistol. Also I will work on his pose and might change it a lot. The current pose is quite dynamic but it's a bit ridiculous, too. 'What is he going to do?' is the first question that comes into mind when you look at him. I want to preserve this question but also want to portray an action that's more believable. I'll try to create a pose, which foreshadows dangerous action but also captures a moment of hesitation and tension. Hold your thumbs!

@ beelow:

Yeah, you're totally right about the detail. I'm quite happy that the girl will be quite small in the final image so I do not have to put too much detail into her (e.g. fingernails, teeth etc.). I also think that I'm going for a more stylised look on the detail in the image. I could for example stamp the Hawkbeast with tiny skin detail and wrinkles and everthing. But I think those things won't read in the final image so I'm careful with that. When all objects are sculpted I will try to match their detail levels as good as possible.

@ Kuanbyr:

It's funny that you're saying that I have done everthing in a short time. I've got the feeling that I'm working on this for ages!

Thanks for your replies. Please feel free to crit on anything you encounter! My view becomes biased and I'm not sure if I see all the issues that surface in this growing scene.

Last edited by digitaldecoy : 04 April 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

04 April 2008
Nice work, digitaldecoy Poor woman...

I understand what working pressure can do to you. I just dropped out of the DW3. Everything seemed ok, and then suddenly I lost all motivation to finish my work. I love doing 3d, but it's also so much hard work.

04 April 2008
Red face

aah misunderstandig, i was tallking about the other hand.
maybe its not really possible to turn the point of view so much,
that it can stand alone before the background. but i´m not
so happy with that area or the silhouette .. well, maybe its just me

looking forward for the captain (with a good weapon!), your sketches were promising.

04 April 2008
@ Neubius:

Just invest some time to watch the tutorials on the ZBrush homepage. That's how I got the clue. It's really worth the effort, ZBrush is the most inspirational software I used in years (last time I had this feeling btw. was Maya Paint Effects - it just felt like playing although it was work).

@ MartinNielson:

Sorry to hear that you had to cancle your DW3 entry for lack of motivation. For me it works quite the other way around I must say. I seldom find the motivation to really put effort into a single piece. These challenges are a huge factor in my motivation. It was exactly the same with "The Journey Begins". I would never have painted it without these challenges. I think the trick is to create an artwork that you really want to do and to which you relate to in a deeper sense. Don't think too much about how it fits the task of the contest. If it just quite fits, just do it. In this case for example I know that the jury will look for the best story idea in the artwork. I could have constructed an elaborate story concept and could have put much effort into developing a striking idea in order to win over the jury. But that's not the point here. I knew I ever wanted to do a classic action pinup like Frazetta. Furthermore I've had this character lurking in my mind for two years now and last but not least I wanted do to an elaborate piece in ZBrush but never found the right topic to motivate me. I just mixed all these ambitions together and take this challenge to fuel my motivation (and as an excuse for my wife for coming to bed way too late every evening). I know, whatever in the end the jury might think about my entry, I will have fullfilled three wishes for myself and I know, by putting as much effort as possible into this piece, I'll be able to give me a real treat in mid may when these wishes come true

@ lucy.turm:

All right, that makes much more sense. I share your feeling and I have also rotated the scene a few times to see if another view might produce a better picture. I will come back to this point when the modelling is done. Fortunately, in 3D you can postpone these basic decisions to a later point in time (which through the eyes of a 2D Artist is just crazy! ).

04 April 2008
< zbrush >

been dying to get in to it, it seems like the perfect crossover from 2d to 3d. but can't find any tutorials that start from the begining!

if you can point me in the right direction i'd be very happy

A

Last edited by Neubius : 04 April 2008 at 01:05 PM.

04 April 2008
@ Neubius:

No problem. Just head for the Pixologic homepage und visit the ZClassroom:

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/registration.php

Lot's of basic tutorials there.You'll have to register but that should be ok since if you planning to get into ZBrush you might want to register at ZBrush Central anyway (same account).

Also, there are very interesting tutorials in the ZBrush Wiki:

http://www.zbrush.info/docs/index.p...=Tutorial&go=Go

That should give you a nice jump start. I purchased ZBrush last July. In less than a year I now feel really comfortable with it and this challenge entry is my first really big project with ZBrush.

Hey, but before you're running off playing, first finish your challenge entry, right? It looks very promising!

04 April 2008
fantastic ! thank you : ) seems like you've really got used to it.

yep, i'll finish up before playing with it, honest! haha

thanks alot dude. looking foward to updates

A

04 April 2008
i still like more the concepts you made than any 3d so far. the drawings are really good quality . .sorry is just i find sometimes a 3d option too troublesome ..but maybe this wont be the case!

good luck . looking forward to see more

SECRET AGENT

UPLIFT

STEAMPUNK

Personal portfolio HERE

04 April 2008
Well, actually DW3 was the first challenge ever I had to quit. I loved the backstory and theme, and I loved working with my concept The problem was, that I always work very hard every day at work as a 3d artist. So, comming home from work and start again with a new 3d project just blew it for me in the end. Free time became work time. I don't feel the same way about 2d. I can always get something useful together without feeling stressed. But don't get me wrong, I like 3d just as much as 2d. I just think it's harder to finish a good 3d entry.

Thread Closed share thread